Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ggreen8  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:22:01 AM(UTC)
ggreen8

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore Electric Clothes Dryer, Model 110.60902990, has some type of heating issue.

It runs fine as long as I do not stop it mid-cycle. If I stop it mid-cycle, and then push the start button the motor will hum but not start. Doing this a few times will cause the unit to be dead.

In either situation, leaving it rest for 10-15 minutes will allow it to start again and run fine till the timer completes.

I have taken it apart and cleaned and blown out all the lint including the vent. It is getting excellent air flow. The thermostats and thermal fuse all show continuity.

I do not know how to test the hi-temp control and the motor. Any suggestions on further testing or repair would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:37:47 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
What is happening is the motor is stalling due to a heat build up this may be the motor itself or another cause, probably the motor. Then when you keep trying it overheats to the point that the internal thermal protect in the motor opens. Then you have to wait till it cools down and the thermal protect resets before you can reset the unit.

I doubt it is a thermostat problem but to be sure try the different heat settings to see if it actually changes the exhaust temperature.

Check that the seals in the unit air flow are in good shape. Especially if it has one between the blower and the motor. Could be that hot air is being blown onto the motor instead of out the vent.

Try rotating the drum by hand. It should rotate fairly easily. Perhaps it is putting too much drag on the motor. You may want to try this on a couple other units to get a feel for it.

If all the above looks OK then I would replace the motor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ggreen8  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:28:57 PM(UTC)
ggreen8

Groups: Registered

Thanks, it was the motor and now runs quieter than ever.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:19:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply