Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
schigara  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:14:30 PM(UTC)
schigara

Groups: Registered

This is a used dryer that we have had for just 6 weeks(30 day warranty:(). The first thing we noticed was it tripped the breaker and then noticed it was smokey around they dryer and it was super hot. Let it cool down and then we started it again and saw some sparking from the back so we pulled the power and inspected the back where the 220 cable goes in. It looked fine so I lifted the top up and looked down in the back and saw what was sparking.

The steel clamp that insulates the 220 cable had been dropped and was wedged against the high limit temp switch(3390291) and the back panel causing it to short out the top wire and burn the prong off the switch.

I went and bought the thermal cutout kit which included both 3390291 and 3389946 and installed them. The lint trap and hoses are free and clear. I started it with the vent tube disconnected and it blows hard and hot and the damn heating element never turns off. It blew the thermal fuse and got so hot you can't even touch the top of the machine.

I checked the heat element. It reads 10ohm between the prongs and I also checked for continuity from the heat element to the case and there was no continuity so the element is not burnt to the body.

What is supposed to control the on off of the heat element? I thought it would be part # 3389946 but it is new along with the high limit switch 3390291.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:34:18 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

The temperature is controlled by the cycling thermostat on the blower housing.

The thermostat Part number: 694674
Part number: 694674

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Whirlpool LE7680XSW1 Residential Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
schigara  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:26:03 PM(UTC)
schigara

Groups: Registered

Thanks Simon.

I had just found that a few minutes ago. I heated it with a heat gun and when it clicked, it did not open the circuit. I pried it apart and the button would not depress so I pressed hard and it popped loose. Now the circuit would open and close by pressing it so I snapped it back together and she works great now. Im guessing the contacts inside it welded together when that wire shorted to the body at the cut out switch.

Gonna buy a new thermal fuse and cycling thermostat but at least I can use it till the parts arrive. I won't leave it running when I leave the house, though, until the new parts are installed.

Thanks again Simon and thanks to this forum.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:11:37 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

You are very welcome.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply