Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phiphtie  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 7:01:29 PM(UTC)
Phiphtie

Groups: Registered

Hello,

My old trusty Whirlpool dryer le5700xsno had a belt snap today.. when opening up the cabinet, and looking under the tumbler, I found a broken belt, and the pulley laying on the base of the dryer. The pulley does not seem to be broken, maybe it just came loose? I know that the belt needs to be replaced, but what about the pulley? What model belt do I need? I tried posting a picture, but it is a long. 1/4" black belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Corey
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:10:16 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The idler pulley is held in there by the belt tension. It sets in a couple of slots in the floor and then the belt threads though it. When the belt breaks, the pulley comes loose.

If you have never replaced the pulley or the back two support rollers, this is a good time to do it. Whirlpool makes a nice kit that has all the parts you need (Belt, idler pulley, and two support rollers). Its actually cheaper than buying the parts separately. It also has instructions.

Part no. AP3131942
Phiphtie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:32:42 PM(UTC)
Phiphtie

Groups: Registered

Thank You 'That Guy',

I did put the pulley in the slots on the base of the dryer when i found it loose, so I know what you mean. Again, thanks for the help, I am ordering parts. This is the seconds time that I am fixing this dryer, and honestly I enjoy fixing it, especially more than replacing it. They're pretty simple machines, I'm sure I could get 40+ years use from it, like my 1970s refrigerator which belonged to my great aunt. Except for the efficiency, not much has changed.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:59:43 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
This particular model of dryer is very easy to fix and very durable. The worst thing that will happen is eventually the timer or motor will quit. Mine is 30 years old this year. I've put in one heating element and one Dryer Repair kit in the last 30 years. The timer acted up, but luckily I was able to repair it, because the part is no longer available.

The durability and savings on repairs and parts more than makes up for the extra energy that old appliances use.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply