Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
js072384  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:15:49 PM(UTC)
js072384

Groups: Registered

Alright here's what I got, I changed the four prong plug to a three prong plug but I failed the ground the chasis ground to a pipe or something, I ran three loads of laundry and then a popping noise, I took the lid off and checked to see if the belt was still attached, it was i rolled the barrel over to see if the motor was spinning freely, it was I checked the power board located above the drum and I noticed that one of the traces was burned coming in from the main power, it was the neutral, I repaired the trace and tested the dryer with lid off, I then re-assembled the dryer and when I went to try it again it turns on front display but when I start the cycle my plug arks out, I killed the power and then took it back apart and checked if you repair was jumping to the 110 leads con continuity from neutral to positive, why am I arking out is it the lack of the chasis ground, maybe something to do with the grounding of the motor??? any input would be wonderful
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 3:50:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Tried AppliancePartsPros and the GE site.
Please check it
Model Number Locator

FYI:
A 4 wire hook up uses a separate Neutral and earth (chassis) ground.
A 3 wire just uses the Neutral. The chassis is then connected to Neutral.
Either by adding a wire or some other method. The install or operators manual should cover this.
You do not hook the unit to a pipe etc.

I cannot say what is happening could you explain it differently as I do not understand all the post.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I repaired the trace and tested the dryer with lid off, I then re-assembled the dryer and when I went to try it again it turns on front display but when I start the cycle my plug arks out,[/COLOR]
If it ran good with the lid off then I would say that you inadvertently shorted something when you put the lid back on. So I would remove the lid again.
Why did you take the lid off just to replace the line cord?

[COLOR="DarkRed"] I killed the power and then took it back apart and checked if you repair was jumping to the 110 leads con continuity from neutral to positive, why am I arking out is it the lack of the chasis ground,[/COLOR]
On most units not having the chassis connected will not cause an operational problem. But it is a BIG safety problem because if one of the lines (L1 or L2) should short to the chassis your dryer's chassis will have 120 volts on it. Touch it and a ground (pipe, faucet etc.) and you will get a shock.

[COLOR="DarkRed"] maybe something to do with the grounding of the motor???[/COLOR]
Not sure why you mention the motor, did you do something to it?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply