Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mcf57  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:42:07 AM(UTC)
mcf57

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool electric dryer that is less than a year old (model #WED4800XQ0). It suddenly stopped working. I unplugged it & then pulled it out. Removed the metal back plate that covers the cord connection area. I came to find out that the black wire (only) had somehow melted and was no longer together. All other wires (green, red and white) were in perfect shape. I figured this was the issue, but wondered why it had happened only 6 months after purchasing the dryer.

After talking to a neighbor who helps maintain Atlanta area schools (HVAC, electrical, misc, etc.). He said it was probably due to that black wire not being screwed on to the (plastic) terminal block back there tight enough. I checked the remaining black wire screwed terminal connection and sure enough, it didn't seem real tight. Therefore, I'm thinking this was the problem.

I looked into getting the black plastic block kit (Sears part #279320). Is about $50 at a local store and out of stock in my area. So for now, my neighbor helped me repair it by basically first stripping the machine's black wire back enough to good wiring. Then also stripped back the electrical plug's black wiring enough to a good area as well. Used a wire nut to connect these two black wires and wrapped it good in black electrical tape. The dryer is now working. I also noticed that the Sears block replacement kit is really just a piece of plastic anyway and simply an easy place to connect the machine's wires and the plug's wires. Also, the wires that come in this $50 kit need to be wire nutted just like I did. Therefore, I felt I am good to go anyway and no need to order this repair kit.

I've gotten varying opinions on this direct wire connection I have done though. An appliance repair person said that this way is not safe and the plastic block should really be replaced. However, my local authorized repair place (that has the kit in stock) says people do it this way all the time with no problems. Any opinions on either. I guess the bottom line is what is so special about this plastic block piece when wire nutting is required anyway to repair it with this kit as well?

Also, since its comes with a 1yr parts/labor warranty, is this something that will be covered by Whirlpool? I got it from best Buy and they even convinced me to purchase a whole new $30 electrical plug saying that if I used my old one, it would void the warranty. I didn't necessarily buy that line, but bought a new electrical cord anyway (which of course had been damaged anyway). I have installed numerous dryers myself (including this one) and never had this problem. I'm just wondering what Whirlpool might say if I try to get them to fix it
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.