Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimbolina  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 11:08:56 AM(UTC)
jimbolina

Groups: Registered

Greetings.

I've been reading on how to replace my dryer's heating coils, but the instructions I've found don't jive with the reality of my particular dryer.

In other words, the instructions state to remove the back panel of the dryer, but the panel itself appears fixed - no fasteners!

Any ideas on how to access the drum and element for repair?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jimbolina  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 1:25:51 PM(UTC)
jimbolina

Nevermind! I finally tracked down a site that had a better instruction procedure.

I now have a new problem, though. While I was able to access the drum by taking the front of the dryer off (by unsnapping the top and releasing the front clips) I now can not seem to get to the back of the drum to release it for removal.

I was also able to un-tension the drum belt, via a small, steel access panel on the lower left, back panel.

I don't have a larger access panel on the back of the dryer to get to the back of the drum, as the entire back is a welded/sealed construction. It appears you can only service the drum from the front, but there is no way to get behind the drum from the from (or even the top) to release any clips or fasteners.

Any ideas on how to proceed with removing the drum so I can get to the heating elements?

Thanks,
Jim
jimbolina  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:37:28 AM(UTC)
jimbolina

FINALLY figured out drum simply lifts out. Once I saw how the 'bearing' configuration worked, I was able to see that all you had to do was lift and pull.

Anyway, the element was indeed broke, but is sold as an entire unit, including the shield and everything pre-assembled, so it was rather pricey ($175.00) and with some other minor wear items that also needed replacement, I considered it too expensive to rebuild, so I'm looking into another basic model - hopefully a new 'scratch and dent'.

Jim
InformedConsurmer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:30:11 PM(UTC)
InformedConsurmer

HOW TO REPLACE/REPAIR GE DRYER HEATING COIL:

You can buy a replacement heating coil on ******** or Amazon. The price range is between $12-$35. Most companies will tell you that you would need the entire assembly that includes the main plate (center hub), coil, and ceramic pieces, but you don't have to go that route if all you need is to replace/fix just the coil.

You can use High Temperature Butt Connectors/Crimping Sleeves such as the model on the link below. You can even use Crimping Sleeves that are use on electric fences (these actually work much better). You can get these connectors at your local Electrical Supply Shop for just cents on the dollar (they work great!). Just make sure that you leave the area, where you putting the connector (s), as straight as possible as to minimize radiation coming from that part, this is just in case that you use a gauge that can create too much heat so to avoid intensified heat in that area along with any extra coil that's too close together to the Butt Connectors/Crimping Sleeves.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VN...;creativeASIN=B009VNTLAC
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply