Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rrussell@erols.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:18:22 PM(UTC)
rrussell@erols.com

Groups: Registered

My dryer stopped working a few weeks ago. It started with an AF error message which was left unchecked for awhile. When I found out it wasnt drying anymore and they told me of the error, I cleared a clog in the vent tube. I then tried it out only to find it still didnt heat up. After visting your site and talking to someone, I was advised to check the thermal fuse and both thermistors. After stating that the fuse seemed fine and the thermistors seemed a little off we decided to order both ( WPL 8577891 and WPL 8577274 ) and replace them. After that did not work, they suggested that I check the heating element and make sure it works. It appears and test fine on my meter and now I am at a standstill. They tell me to check my blower and see if it is stuck and check for dust particles in the vent. I work on machines for a living and cant grasp how a stuck blower ( which does not appear to be stuck ) or DUST can keep my heating element from getting Hot. Can you please offer me some logical things to look for since I have gone this far and dont want to have to place a service call Now. Thanks for any Helpfull hints you can give me.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:36:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...ch.aspx?model=WED6200SW1

See the attachment for the tech sheet

I am assuming everything else runs OK just no heat.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]After stating that the fuse seemed fine[/COLOR]
May be just semantics but did you check the thermal fuse on the blower or the thermal cut-off (Item 9 in Section 1) on the heater?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]After that did not work, they suggested that I check the heating element and make sure it works. [/COLOR]
Looks like it is a dual element so try different heat settings to see if you get some heat.

The first thing to check is the power. The control board and motor run off of 120 volts but the heater requires the full 240 volts.
Try flipping the breaker off/on slowly a couple times. Sometimes you can loose half the line without actually tripping the breaker.
Check the voltage at the plug
L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK
Unplug the unit and check the wires at the terminal strip in the machine to make sure none are loose or burned out
If OK
Check the power at the terminal strip.
Do this with the heater off and on.
[COLOR="Red"]Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!![/COLOR]

Next check the thermal cut-off, should be 0 ohms.

Check the hi-limit thermostat, should be 0 ohms.

If good or open (infinite ohms) you have to check the heater.
Not sure if yours is a single or dual element.
If single it should be about 10 ohms, if dual each element should be about 20 ohms (a bit of a guess ).
Check the heating coil.

Unplug the unit and both wires (3 wires if a dual) to the coil.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it so the thermal cut-off blows.

The hi-limit should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow, that is why there is a new one with the thermal cut-off (Item 9 in Section 1).
Note: That unless there is another problem in the unit the hi-limit should never have to open. It is just a safety device with the fuse being a backup safety device.

Just in case it is not a grounded element.
With all the below the high limit will also have to be replaced.
Check that the belt is OK.
Check the seals (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I work on machines for a living and cant grasp how a stuck blower ( which does not appear to be stuck ) or DUST can keep my heating element from getting Hot.[/COLOR]
The AF error probably was a dirty vent system.

A clogged or partially clogged vent system can blow a thermal device though usually this is the thermal fuse not the thermal cut-off.
On this unit they actually monitor input/output temperatures to protect against overheating re: the AF error.
But other things can also give this error.
File Attachment(s):
WED6200.pdf (417kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply