Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paul DeMers  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 4:53:33 PM(UTC)
Paul DeMers

Groups: Registered

May 25 year old Maytag works fine except that the timer will not turn. It heats and tumbles properly but the timer stays on 50 minutes for the whole cycle. If I try to start it on 30 minutes or less, the end-of-cycle buzzer alerts. I just manually turn it off when the load is dry.

I would like to replace the timer but do not know the differences between the timer, timer motor or the sub-timer. I would like to be able to spin the dial, set the time needed and have it turn off after that approximate amount of time used.

I never run the appliance in my absence. I just don't like having a "broken" tool when it can be fixed.

Thanks for the help.

Paul DeMers
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:20:46 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Paul

You are right to be concerned about not operating your dryer with a timer that does not function. This is a major safety issue for reasons that I think are obvious.

The likely source of your problem is the timer motor, which can be ordered as a separate part. However, it is somewhat expensive and may not fix your problem. If you have to replace the timer its cost is much greater than the value of your dryer.

If you want to keep the dryer I would suggest replacing the timer motor, but I would recommend you put the time, effort and money towards a new one. A nice, no frills, no microprocessor controls dryer will do a good job for you for years to come.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply