Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fridge Guy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:25:30 PM(UTC)
Fridge Guy

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a 1999 Frigidaire Gallery Front Load Gas Dryer. The gas valve will operate but only for small periods of time. The lower front and left side will get nice and hot and then the gas shuts off. After several minutes, the ignitor will glow for about 10 seconds but the valve wont open. I can verify that there is 120v at the gas valve as I have installed a 120v green pilot light that I can see from either the top or front access hole at bottom left side. I disassembled all air passage ways and removed several pounds of heavy lint which I thought was the culprit but no joy. I have temporarily jumpered the High Limit and Control Thermostat but the problem still exists. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I even smacked the valve body with a wrench in case the diaphram was sticking but no luck. :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:45:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Very likely the problem is a bad gas valve coils.

- The coil kit Part number: 279834
Part number: 279834

Gene.
Fridge Guy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:46:50 AM(UTC)
Fridge Guy

Thank you for the quick reply, I watched the video and have read more threads on this site and they all concour with your suggestion. I will order those coils today and let you know the results, thanks again Gene...:)
Fridge Guy  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 2:45:01 PM(UTC)
Fridge Guy

Hello Gene,
I installed the new coils but the problem still exists. Any ideas?
Gene  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 3:14:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

In such situation a bad gas valve itself can cause it too. I'm not able to provide the correct part number because the model number you posted does not come up.

Gene.
Fridge Guy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:58:26 AM(UTC)
Fridge Guy

I am afraid you might be right Gene, I am currently with the dryer right now, I start the drier and watch the proceedings through the lower left hand screw access hole at the front of the dryer. Here is where I can see the hot surface ignition glow bright orange for 15 secs. I can also see the green pilot light I installed across the gas valve which is connected to the pink and red wires (these are the only 2 wires that lead to the complete gas valve/hot surface ignitor assy.). My green light stays lit which tells me theres 120v here and yet the valve is not opening. FYI, I have watched the main flame operate for a half hour since I installed the new coils and then the flame goes out and may or may not come back after several retries from the hot surface ignition.
Any help would be gladly accepted at this point.

Steve
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:38:23 AM(UTC)
Gene

Steve,

We both agreed that the problem can be a bad gas valve. As I said earlier, I can not find the correct part number because of inaccuracy with the model number. Try to get any numbers from the original gas valve.

Gene.
Fridge Guy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:22:54 AM(UTC)
Fridge Guy

Hello Gene,

Good news! I got it going again. The problem? A bad coil right out of the box! I bench tested the valve and it worked everytime so the I decided to ring out the coils and to my surprise the larger coil was failed! I went back to the supplier and showed them my original coils and then the new failed coils so they would believe me. No problem, I got another pair for free, went back and installed them and presto! No more problems!:) :) :) .

Thank you for all your assistance AND patience...

Best Regards,

Steve (Fridge Guy).
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:06:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Steve. It did not surprise me. The situation with brand new parts being bad right out of the box becomes more and more common and there is nothing what we can do with it. Very sad.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply