Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
desertsky  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:15:49 PM(UTC)
desertsky

Groups: Registered

This dryer has me totally crazy. It stops intermitently in the middle of the drying cycle. I completely cleaned out the inside of dryer by taking the back off and vacuuming out the lint. The vent system is horrible in this house. The dryers vent goes up 20 ft to the roof. It never seems to get my clothes completely dry. Especially towels. I have to run the dryer through 2 drying cycles and then I battle with it shutting off during this time.

Today I thought I solved the problem by disconnecting the vent to the wall and seeing if it would work. I managed to do 4 loads and then it stopped again mid cycle. I can hear the timer ticking.

Every dryer we have ever owned has not worked properly. Same problem!! I always thought is was the dryer but now I am not so sure. This house was built in the 80's came with a load controller. We disconnected the load controller because we thought it was shutting down the dryer. I had an electrician check the plug in the wall. He said everything looked good. This is the 5th dryer I have owned in 15 years. Any suggestions anyone??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 5:32:05 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Wow, somewhat of a mystery and I am not certain I can be of a great amount of help without seeing the site, but let's see what we can do. We need some more info.

1. Does this happen in both timed and auto cycles, or just one, and if so, which one?

2. How long does the dryer stay off when it shuts down? Do you have to restart it with the push to start button or does it start itself?

3. Does the dryer continue to run with no heat, or does it stop completely and just the timer moves to the end of the cycle?

4. What other brands and models have you had, and why did you replace them?

5. When you take the back off do you also take the blower cover off and clean it out?

My own opinion is that a 20 foot rise will not work with a conventional residential dryer, but since yours also quit with no outside venting I am not sure this is the issue with respect to your machine shutting down.

Anway, let's see what you come up with and I will do some more thinking and maybe some other folks can weigh in here also.

Thanks
desertsky  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 9:02:07 AM(UTC)
desertsky

1. Does this happen in both timed and auto cycles, or just one, and if so, which one? Yes it happens in both cycles.

2. How long does the dryer stay off when it shuts down? Do you have to restart it with the push to start button or does it start itself? It seems to take around 15 minutes and then it will start back up. I have to push the button to get it to start up.

3. Does the dryer continue to run with no heat, or does it stop completely and just the timer moves to the end of the cycle? it stops completely and the timer is still ticking

4. What other brands and models have you had, and why did you replace them? I had a GE that would do the same thing.

5. When you take the back off do you also take the blower cover off and clean it out? I cleaned all around the fan. Is that where you mean?
Thank you so much with your help. When this first started my husband didn't believe that the dryer was stopping. He has finally witnessed this too.
So it appears to be running so much better with the lint tube-vent not attached. But like I said it did stop after the 4 loads. Then it turned back on after about 10 minutes. thanks so much! Nan
desertsky  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 9:04:18 AM(UTC)
desertsky

Originally Posted by: desertsky Go to Quoted Post
1. Does this happen in both timed and auto cycles, or just one, and if so, which one? Yes it happens in both cycles.

2. How long does the dryer stay off when it shuts down? Do you have to restart it with the push to start button or does it start itself? It seems to take around 15 minutes and then it will start back up. I have to push the button to get it to start up.

3. Does the dryer continue to run with no heat, or does it stop completely and just the timer moves to the end of the cycle? it stops completely and the timer is still ticking

4. What other brands and models have you had, and why did you replace them? I had a GE that would do the same thing.

5. When you take the back off do you also take the blower cover off and clean it out? I cleaned all around the fan. Is that where you mean?
Thank you so much with your help. When this first started my husband didn't believe that the dryer was stopping. He has finally witnessed this too.
So it appears to be running so much better with the lint tube-vent not attached. But like I said it did stop after the 4 loads. Then it turned back on after about 10 minutes. thanks so much! Nan

sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 9:25:53 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, let me tell you what I think is going on.

First of all, you need to understand that your dryer has a number of built in safety devices, called thermal fuses or safety thermostats. When the dryer gets too hot, these "open" and shut down your dryer. However, they are not the problem here, because they are one time fuses. They do not reset, they must be replaced.

So, what this leaves us is this. Your dryers have been overworking themselves trying to exhaust up the 20 foot rise. The overworking is causing the motor to overheat. The motor has a built in overload protection device, which shuts it down so it does not destroy itself. After a while, when things cool down the protection device resets itself and the dryer can start up again.

Now the only flaw in this theory is that it happened after you disconnected the vent, but this may have been a one time fluke situation, or the motor may have weakened so that the overload protection is kicking under a load which otherwise would not trigger it.

In short, you are going to have to find a way to exhaust your dryer without the 20foot rise. If you cannot do so, you should find a way to put in an auxiallary fan that will assist the motor/blower in trying to exhaust the dryer.

Well, that's my thinking. Good luck.
SublimeMasterJW  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 10:03:10 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Did you remove the filter housing from the dryer and wash it out?
desertsky  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 1:21:08 PM(UTC)
desertsky

No I didn't. Where is this located? Thank you both for the help! I took the back panel off, from there I completely took the lint tube out and emptied it, then i vacuumed out the fan. Did i miss something??Desertsky
SublimeMasterJW  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 2:09:39 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Did you break it down. Check the repair photos and manual
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply