Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
strikertotheline  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:36:43 PM(UTC)
strikertotheline

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to repair my in-law's LG gas dryer. The dryer will not generate any heat while running. I've researched this extensively, downloaded the service manual for this specific model. From everything I read, it seemed it would be a simple switch out of one the 3 thermostats, whichever had no continuity. I took the unit apart and tested the thermostats, all of which have under 1 ohm of continuity, as specified in the one of the service manual's tests. The sensor and igniter also have continuity, as well as the thermistor. I checked the igniter coil for any cracks and it looked clean. I put everything together, except for the front cabinet cover, so that I can run the dryer while still having visibility to the igniter to see if it starts up, glows red and the burner fires off. It did just this, but only for a few seconds, then shuts down and obviously no hot air. I've done the same thing with the vent duct detached, in case of any lack of air flow, and the same thing happens. I've also checked continuity at each of the 2 valve terminals on the gas valve assembly, and that is as specified in the service manual. I'm stumped with this one, and wondering if any of the thermostats, or the sensor could still be bad even though there is continuity in them. Possibly the hi limit thermostat, or the sensor which I'm told serves as a thermo coupler? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

LG Repair  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 11:42:33 AM(UTC)
LG Repair

couple of questions first......do you use natural or propane gas? the machine is equipped for natural from the factory.you need to get the orface kit for propane.if natural, your gas valve is not opening.on most this is a 15 dollar fix,not on an LG, the whole gas valve needs to be replaced. give me the model number and ill get you the part number you need to find.
LG Repair  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 11:50:14 AM(UTC)
LG Repair

the gas valve number is 5221el2002a
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:51:28 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just to add my 2 cents...

The LG part number 5221EL2002A is Appliance Parts Pros Part number: AP4457614
Part number: AP4457614

Gene.
adbor44  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:54:35 AM(UTC)
adbor44

I was having similar symptoms and have finally solved my issue.

We noticed that clothes weren't drying as well as they use to...when using sensor dry they would come out slightly damp (just barely). Intermittently we would smell natural gas in the laundry room. After reading numerous forum posts, I decided to swap out the main control board because many people said changing the ignitor and gas valve didn't fix the problem. I thought that I had fixed the problem as we didn't smell gas for a few weeks.

Well, the problem did come back a few weeks later. Eventually the dryer stopped heating as the gas wouldn't ignite. I ordered a gas valve thinking that was the most likely culprit. The swap out that part I had to remove the drum which exposed everything in the dryer nicely. It turns out the exhaust tube had dislodged internally and a decent amount of lint was being blown inside the machine. Lint was everywhere.

The lint had built up inside the gas tube and must have caused turbulence in the gas flow which prevented it from lighting properly. I cleaned everything up, reconnected the exhaust tubing and taped it securely before putting everything back together. I didn't replace the gas valve as the original one ohmed out properly. The dryer has been working like new for several weeks now.

I hope this helps other with similar problems.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2022 7:46:30 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I changed my LG model DLEX2650W heating elements but dryer still blows cold air? What other parts may need to be changed? Like Thermistor or circuit board?
nateiminov25  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2022 11:05:51 PM(UTC)
nateiminov25

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
I changed my LG model DLEX2650W heating elements but dryer still blows cold air? What other parts may need to be changed? Like Thermistor or circuit board?

Other issues that may prevent your dryer from heating apart from the heating element include: a tripped circuit breaker, the dryer vent, lint trap, and/or lint screen is suffocating the heating element. Other issues could be a faulty thermal fuse a broken thermostat or a defective timer motor. If you checked all of these and still can't figure it out I am sure a local dryer repair service can help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply