Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pmueller07  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:30:12 PM(UTC)
pmueller07

Groups: Registered

We inherited a Kenmore gas dryer with the house we bought back in March 2007 so I don't know how old it is. Until yesterday it was working fine--now it runs but will not heat up at all. I have seen seen a number of possibilities on this site (thermal fuse, heating element, etc.) but I am a novice and don't know where to begin. We're thinking of replacing it since Sears charges $60 just to look at it and we both assume any additional repair cost might be better put toward a new dryer. Any ideas? If it helps the serial # is ML3401979 and type is DDOT-NAT-1206006-CV22. I'd like to know how old it is and would greatly appreciate specific details on any suggestions on how to troubleshoot. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ripleys  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:05:20 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

The easiest and least expensive repair is a thermal fuse. DISCONNECT POWER TO DRYER. Pull dryer out, disconnect dryer vent and proceed to take complete back off dryer. Near the bottom of the dryer you will find a little white part (thermal fuse) has two wires going to it and is held in with a single 1/4" screw. Pull off both those wires on the thermal fuse, tape them together and try the dryer. If it starts, the thermal fuse needs replacing. Also at that time clean dryer and venting and check that your outside vent damper is opening completely. Hope this helps.
pmueller07  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:13:56 PM(UTC)
pmueller07

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
pmueller07  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:55:24 PM(UTC)
pmueller07

Ok, a couple of things. I tried for a least a half an hour to remove the back of the dryer only to find it welded in some places. Then I went to the front of the dryer to find a panel under the door that popped off with some effort. Here I found the blower motor and was able to clean out most of the dirt inside. My remaining problem is that I am unable to locate the thermal fuse at this point. Any idea where it is located specifically? There are instructions on the blower assembly cover that talk about removing the blower wheel but I am unable to do that either. Please help........ :confused:
pmueller07  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:44:21 PM(UTC)
pmueller07

I found the thermal fuse and pulled off the two wires and connected them together. The dryer still runs but does not provide heat as before. I assume I should check the igniter and gas valve coils next, right? Any specific suggestions on these???
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply