Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cap10chris  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:22:45 PM(UTC)
cap10chris

Groups: Registered

Heater coil on continuously when plugged in.
Unit functions to dry clothes but must be unplugged when done.
The timer has failed, it just spins.
What are the 2 thermostats in the front (exhaust) function? They are 135-15 and 145-15 degree.
Smaller rear thermostat is hi-temp safety, does the other (larger) one control the on-off cycling?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 3:31:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric DLB2450BNL Electric dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

GE likes to keep all tech info a secret so I cannot get a wiring diagram for your specific unit.
Have you looked in the control console? they like to store wiring diagrams in there.

Following is a wiring diagram that I am guessing is close to your unit.
http://www.applianceaid.com/image/geediagram.JPG

If it is close, then the 2 thermostats on the heater assembly are safety.
One kills power to the unit and the other kills power to just the heating coils.

The 2 in the front are both control thermostats depending on what cycle type you are in. See the chart in the wiring diagram.

Since the only way to shut the heater off is to kill power to the unit it may be grounded. The elements should not be able to come on unless the motor is running. The motor has a centrifugal switch the closes when it gets close to operating speed and gives power to the coils. This ensures that there is no heat until there is air flow.

I would disconnect the wires to the heating coils and then measure each coil. They are probably around 20 ohms. Then measure from each coil connection to the frame/case. All should be infinite ohms. If not the coil is grounded and will probably need replacing.

On the timer pull the knob perhaps it is stripped/broken and that is why it just spins.
If the timer needs replacing it looks expensive. I am not sure if they are all the same or differ depending on the units serial number, so if you call AppliancePartsPros be sure to have the serial number.

Before ordering anything I would also open it up and check the rear support bearing, the belt, the idler wheel, the drum seals, all internal seals, front slides (glides) etc.
You may as well give it an overhaul and the cost of the parts may make it not worth fixing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply