Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jp882  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:31:07 PM(UTC)
jp882

Groups: Registered

Trying to replace heating element (Whirlpool part # 348774) aftermarket part # AP3094088. Need help figuring out how to remove old element, and replace with new... Hoping I don't have to completely disassemble the dryer, since the element only slides about 5 inches out of the inlet tube before hitting the bottom of the dryer housing.

<Update> Checked parts list diagram from this site, and found a clip & screw at the top of the inlet tube. Once I removed the screw, I was able to pry the inlet tube free from the bulkhead, and remove the assembly so that I could replace the heating element, then re-install the inlet tube. Hope this helps someone else.

<<Further update>> Once I got the heating element and the hi-limit thermostat replaced, I still have no heat from the dryer... I've checked the breakers for the dryer (OK), disconnected the vent to rule out any blockage, and run the dryer with a wet towel in the tumbler. (still no heat) I also checked the parts list for a fuse for the heat element, but found none... What else can I check, besides prices on a new dryer??
HELP! HELP! :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abbie  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:41:06 AM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

First thing to do is to pull the plug so there is no power to the dryer.The next thing is that you will have to pull dryer out from wall [remove vent].almost all work will be in the back of dryer,except to remove the lint filter and it,s 2 screws under it. The top will lift up by using a butter knife or straight screw driver on each front corner to pop the clips.Now with the top cover leaned back,you will see a small screw on the left side at the back of the bulk head holding the element and housing, remove this screw. Now all work will be at the back. Draw a diagram of the wires so you will not get mixed up remove the wires and 1 screw holding the housing. Then remove the housing and element pull the element out of the housing and replace with new one.Now go step by step in reverse to finish the job...good luck.
abbie  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:51:14 AM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

check the wires in the back of the dryer, where the plug enters the back.There will be a small cover there,remove and see how the wires are at the block ,one may be burnt, repair with electricial connectors and check.But make sure the plug is pulled when repairing.
jp882  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:00:06 AM(UTC)
jp882

Groups: Registered

Abbie: I did get the element replaced, and the inlet back in place, but thanks for the "approved" method that might have saved me some scrapes!

Also, thanks for the burned wire suggestion. The two hot leads from the power cord were corroded and hard (insulation is charred) so I trimmed the leads & replaced the lugs, then reconnected everything. Still NO heat from the dryer, at multiple heat & mode settings (timed and auto-dry).

One thing I hadn't mentioned before is that I ordered the Hi-Temp thermostat at the same time I ordered the heating element, just in case it was the therm. and not the heat element. The part that arrived was slightly different than the original, but I didn't think anything of it until last night (16-Jan-2008) after I had bought a new dryer and scheduled delivery. After I'd given up on the old one, I had the idea that the NEW hi-temp therm. might be the issue. I put the old hi-limit thermostat back in place, and the dryer is back in working order now. I was able to cancel the purchase of the new dryer (WHEW).

<< So, the heating element was the problem all along, and the wrong hi-limit thermostat had caused it to continue not to work until I put the old one back in.>>

FYi,
JamesP
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply