Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wrobins  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 4:34:09 AM(UTC)
wrobins

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to help my mother-in-law with her dryer. I'm going to visit soon and hope to repair it. Here is the problem. When she runs the dryer on high or medium, after a few minutes it throws the circuit breaker. She says the clothes seem hotter than expected. If she runs on low or no heat, it runs without problem. She has cleaned out the venting, but can't take it apart to clean inside. I suspect the heating element or the thermostats. The parts diagram shows 4 different thermostats. Any idea which would be most likely to cause this problem? Should I suspect a heating element short? Or, might something else be likely to cause this problem. Since I'm traveling to visit, I probably will have to order parts ahead of time, so I'd like to only buy ones that might be causing this problem. I would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 2:54:33 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The challenge of respondng on Forums like this is that we are not present to observe the machine. Your situation compounds this problem because you have not seen the machine. So this is a pretty interesting problem.

Here are some things I think you should consider.

1. The breaker is bad. The current draw on full heat is enough to trip it, but the current draw on lower or no heat does not. So, if you cannot get a breaker there, take one with you.

2. You have an obstruction in the blower or the blower is broken and not moving air as strong as it should. When you get there take off the blower cover and check it out. This is the most likely problem.

3. Of the thermostats, the bias or cycling one is the one to suspect. It cycles the element on and off.

Here is the part.

Part number: AP2042618
Part number: AP2042618

GE parts cost more than others, as you can see.

4. The heating element is grounded and shorting out. You can purchase the whole assembly, but it is fairly simple just to restring it.

Here is the part.

Part number: AP2620171
Part number: AP2620171

So if I were you and I would take (1) tools, (2) multi-meter, (3) bias thermostat and (4) heating element and hope that these will do the job.

Of course, if Murphy's law is working here whatever you don't have will be what you need, but let's hope Magician Murphy is out of town when you go.

Good luck, and please update us on what you do and how it works out.
wrobins  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 6:23:30 PM(UTC)
wrobins

Groups: Registered

Thanks. I called the local parts house and they have the parts, so that makes this much less complicated. I intend to check the breaker first and rule that out before tackling the dryer. I appreciate the advice.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply