Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MsFixit2  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:02:40 AM(UTC)
MsFixit2

Groups: Registered

:( My old Maytag, front-loading gas dryer recently stopped actually drying my clothes. I have opened up the front to see what I could see. I have determined: 1). the vent is clean and all lint has been removed from any place it existed, 2). the igniter works well, 3). after igniter glows for a few seconds, gas comes on and flame is lit, 4). when igniter starts to cool, the gas cuts off and flame goes out, 5). this sequence of events repeats itself every few minutes, 6). air is blowing through the machine very well, and 7). the hi-limit thermostat tests at .2 ohms of resistance. What do I do next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

wolf8963  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 7:59:19 PM(UTC)
wolf8963

I dont know but it sounds like it could be hold coil on the gas valve. I don't know the specs but with the dryer unplugged, the coil continuity should read something other than infinite on both coils. Specs for mine are around 2000 ohms...

good luck
MsFixit2  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 9:14:39 PM(UTC)
MsFixit2

:confused:
Originally Posted by: wolf8963 Go to Quoted Post
I dont know but it sounds like it could be hold coil on the gas valve. I don't know the specs but with the dryer unplugged, the coil continuity should read something other than infinite on both coils. Specs for mine are around 2000 ohms...

good luck

Since my last post, I have disassembled the dryer further and checked both the coils, a thing that looks like a thermostat that is attached to the vent in the very front of the dryer. and a sensor that is attached to the flame tube immediately adjacent to the igniter. The coils both show continuity, the thermostat thingie reads 2 when checking for ohms (digital multimeter), and the sensor gives me a wild range of readings, then sometimes settles on 1. I don't know what that means. If that is not the problem, I have only a few options left, one of which is that fuse that is supposed to be in the back near the vent opening.

Somebody out there knows exactly what is wrong with my machine, and exactly how to fix it. I eagerly await your advice!
Xachary  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2009 12:41:23 AM(UTC)
Xachary

Weak coils.. Common with Maytag.
MsFixit2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:58:55 PM(UTC)
MsFixit2

Originally Posted by: Xachary Go to Quoted Post

So, I should replace both coils? I understand that, although there are two, they are not interchangeable. It makes sense to me that, if one is weak or bad, the other may be, too. Besides, while I have the machine in pieces anyway...Thanks! I'll do it and get back to ya with some feedback.
wolf8963  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:20:13 PM(UTC)
wolf8963

Originally Posted by: MsFixit2 Go to Quoted Post
So, I should replace both coils? I understand that, although there are two, they are not interchangeable. It makes sense to me that, if one is weak or bad, the other may be, too. Besides, while I have the machine in pieces anyway...Thanks! I'll do it and get back to ya with some feedback.

I just replaced mine (Kenmore) with intermittent heating problem. I got the coils in a kit that included both.

Id replace both. Unless one is physically damaged (bulged) or reads open or way out of specs with an ohm meter, it'd be difficult to know which one was bad.
MsFixit2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:24:44 AM(UTC)
MsFixit2

:)
Originally Posted by: wolf8963 Go to Quoted Post
I just replaced mine (Kenmore) with intermittent heating problem. I got the coils in a kit that included both.

Id replace both. Unless one is physically damaged (bulged) or reads open or way out of specs with an ohm meter, it'd be difficult to know which one was bad.

Thanks! I just received my new coils, installed them, and did my first load of laundry - which is the true test. It looks to me like, together, we've solved my problem. Thanks again!
MsFixit2  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:31:20 AM(UTC)
MsFixit2

Originally Posted by: Xachary Go to Quoted Post

:) Thank you, thank you, Xachary! I wouldn't have thought weak coils created my dilemma, but I have now replaced them, and I believe you were right! Kudos to everyone who answered me, and to AppliancePartsPros.com!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply