Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tajensen72  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:27:31 PM(UTC)
Tajensen72

Groups: Registered

I think the motor is going out on my dryer (which, after 15 years, I can't complain :) ). Here is what has occurred:

1. Dryer ended a cycle with a very sickly, truncated buzz. Clothes weren't quite dry, but the dryer wouldn't start again. When we pressed the button, nothing happened but a buzzing noise.

2. After the dryer cooled down, we were able to start it, but there was a fairly strong ozone smell.

3. The dryer does seem to work, as long as it's not too hot, but starting it continues to give a buzzing noise.

We haven't used it enough to see if it still fails after running for hours.

Is there anything I can do to verify it is the motor or is there anything else I should test first?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:17:49 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

You have pretty much comfirmed that the motor is bad. It is cutting off on a heat overload. I just did 2 motor jobs on that dryer last week. Both of my customers did the repair job. Those are great dryers, and that motor is not that expensive. I will tell you this, the blower wheel might not want to come off after all those years. Usually it is a 50-50 chance. If you want to try to get the blower wheel off before you buy the parts. Take the front of, and the drum out, and the way I do it is, I get an adjustable wrench or a wrench that will fit snuggly on the blower wheel, right behind the motor. You might have to take the metal clip off of the back motor mount to get to it. Then get a wrench or plyers, and hold the motor pully from turning, and then turn then you will have to turn the wrench on the blower wheel to the left to losen. It ain't going to be easy. But if you get it off, great, if not, the blower wheel is cheap too. If you can't get the blower wheel off. There are two screws that hold the lint filter down on the top of the dryer where you pull the lint filter out. Remove them, and the lint filter, and then go to the back of the dryer, and take the back off the dryer, and then take the four screws that hold the lint filter assembly in place, and remove the whole assembly, and that is where the blower wheel is. I get a hammer and break the blower wheel with it, till you are able to remove the motor from the front. Once you realize you can get the blower wheel off, then remove the mounting clips holding the motor in place. The part # for the motor is 279827. The part # for the blower wheel is 694089. I hope this helps. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply