Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
elliot345  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:16:14 AM(UTC)
elliot345

Groups: Registered

I apologize I do not have the model # on hand. My issue is that my dryer won't start anymore. It has been working great for over two years since I bought it (used). Anyway, it is getting electricity. This I can tell because the door light is working properly (turns on when door is open, turns off when door is closed). I tested continuity with the door switch and it works as well. I think the problem is electrical. It is as if the motor is not even being told to turn on. The on/off button seems to work because when I hold it down there is a humming noise that I hear from the timer. The timer will make the humming noise when on a time setting, but will not make the humming noise if set to one of the off positions on the timer. Also, I only hear the humming noise on the timer while I hold down the on/off button. Once I let go of the button the humming noise stops but the machine never turns on. This is one of the dryers where you typically push the on/off button for about a second before the machine turns on for the specified cycle. I feel like something is preventing a signal to the motor. There is no heat and no rotation. If I open up the vent on the back (towards the bottom left), I can see the motor. All the belts look good and wire connections look fine as well. If I turn one of the pulleys it will rotate the entire dryer barrel with ease. Do you know what could be the problem and/or how I can test or fix it? Thank you for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:48:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like the thermal fuse is the culprit. In order to provide more accurate advice we need the complete model number of the dryer.

Gene.
elliot345  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:23:03 AM(UTC)
elliot345

Hi Gene,
The model number for my Tappan Electric Dryer is: 47-2451-00/01. The serial number is xd23723308. Do you still think the thermal fuse is the problem? If so, where do I find this fuse and how can I purchase one? Thanks again for all of your help
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:00:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Check for continuity the thermal limiter and the safety thermostat (#33 & #16 on the diagram).

- The safety thermostat Part number: AP2142632
Part number: AP2142632

- The thermal limiter Part number: AP2108182
elliot345  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:48:59 PM(UTC)
elliot345

Gene... Thank you so much for your help. It turns out it was the thermal limiter. I tested for continuity and there was none. To be sure, I connected the two wires which normally connect to the thermal limiter and was able to start my dryer. After seeing this was the issue, I disconnected the wires and unplugged the dryer. I will order the new thermal limiter and replace the old one. Thanks again for your help. By the way, the thing which likely caused the overheating was from my roommate. It turns out there are hundreds of small broken up sunflower seeds all around the inside of the dryer (not the part where clothes go, but under all the panels). I guess he left the bag in his pocket and they must have clogged the exhaust.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:54:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.

It's always been a good idea to check pockets before laundry. It can be real $$$
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply