Discuss

Maytag Dryer Model#MDE9806AYW

in

Dryer Repair

. "

My dryer won't start. When pressing start button motor hums, trying to start then trips off. If I let it

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Maytag Dryer Model#MDE9806AYW

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

lvwalrus is on a distinguished road
Default Maytag Dryer Model#MDE9806AYW
Brand: Maytag   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

My dryer won't start. When pressing start button motor hums, trying to start then trips off. If I let it set for awhile it will sometimes start. Most times it will hum and trip off again. Help.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Sounds like the motor has gone bad.

- The motor Part number: AP4042922

Part number: AP4042922

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDE9806AYW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM

lvwalrus is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the rapid response. I was hopeing for an easier fix. I'll fix it because my wife really likes the unit. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are welcome. It is a good time to clean the dryer inside.

Keep us posted.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM

NotSoHandyTodd is on a distinguished road

I have a Maytag MDG9606AWW that wouldn't start. Dried a load this morning with no problems as usual then on the next load I pressed the Start button and it made the same hum noise at the original post and wouldn't go.

So I thought I'd try what someone did in another post by taping down the door switch so I could press the start button and hand-turn the drum to get it started. It started all right, then smoke started coming out and stunk up the house. I quickly pulled the plug. I took the front off and pulled out the drum so I could make sure there wasn't a fire inside. Seems safe now.

I've seen many threads blame the problem on a thermal fuse. But I'm thinking the motor is fried and must be replaced.

Am I on the right track? Anything else I should be concerned about? Is the motor part number the same for my gas model? - I clicked the link and found it is.

Last edited by NotSoHandyTodd : 05-15-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Answered one of my own questions
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Most likely the problem is a bad motor.

- The motor Part number: AP4042922

Part number: AP4042922

Here is the Service manual.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDG9606AWW Dryer - Gas | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM

NotSoHandyTodd is on a distinguished road

Gene, thanks so much for the help!

Talk about super fast shipping. I ordered Sunday and it arrived early afternoon Tuesday. I just finished and my dryer works once again!

As my username implies, I don't do this kind of thing very often so what a sense of accomplishment to do it myself. This is the second time I fixed the dryer. Last fall I replaced the rear rollers. I'm sure I take at least 3 times as long as a pro, but I'm sure I'm saving a fair amount of money.

The hardest part for me was getting the motor support clips off. Back on was a little less hard but still a pain. What are those little round clips that go on shafts? They weren't so bad this time, but I had a real struggle getting them off and back on when I did the rollers. There's a special tool for them which I, of course, don't have.

Having everything out, including the blower assembly and motor provided a great opportunity to really clean the inside out. I actually washed the plastic blower parts.

To replace the motor, refer to pages 40 & 41 of the PDF Service Manual linked by Gene above.

Last edited by NotSoHandyTodd : 05-18-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are welcome Todd. I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good job!

Gene.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.