Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tburns  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 8:41:07 PM(UTC)
tburns

Groups: Registered

My old Imperial 70 dryer heater element burned in two, and the thermostat located near the heater element disintegrated as I was dissasembling the dryer. I did not note which wire went where. There is a blue wire and a red wire. The blue one is labeled "HS-1" and the red one is labeled, "HS-3"; perhaps heat sensor 1 and 3, respectively?

I ordered replacement parts from APP, but the Thermostat received was a SPDT rather than the SPST that I removed. The instructions said to ignore terminal 2. Does the blue wire go to terminal 1 and the red wire go to terminal 3?

What happens if they are reversed, will it damage the thermostat or the dryer?

Also, the housing for the heating element has a tear-shaped hole near the top, that is just open and vents outside the dryer chamber. Is it supposed to be blocked? We get quite a bit of lint that accumulates in the laundry room.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:04:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You have the two wire leads caring 120 VAC each for the heating element. It doesn’t matter which terminal goes where as long as they provide 240 VAC total voltage.

The thermostat is a safety device. Its’ purpose is to interrupt the power to the heating element in case of overheating. This thermostat should be connected in series with the heating element. In other words, one of the incoming wire leads should be connected to any of the two heating element terminals while the second incoming wire lead should be connected to the thermostat terminal 1 or terminal 3 (does not matter which one). The second thermostat terminal should be connected to the second heating element terminal.

Quote:
...Also, the housing for the heating element has a tear-shaped hole near the top, that is just open and vents outside the dryer chamber...

It should be open for proper heat exchange and ventilation.

Gene.
tburns  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:55:25 PM(UTC)
tburns

Groups: Registered

What you said makes perfect sense. However, us neophytes have no way of knowing until you experts share the benefits of your wisdom and experience. Thanks for taking the time.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:19:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply