Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Prof. Maneuver  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:37:46 AM(UTC)
Prof. Maneuver

Groups: Registered

Hi Gang-

I have motor troubles! Over the last few weeks motor exhibiting louder and louder electrical hum (more like growl) during operation. Yesterday after one load of wash, a very loud humm, but no start. Motor start/run relay can be heard during start switch press. About 30 minutes later after a good internal vacuuming, it starts, nominal loud hum remains. I can back drive the motor with the drum so I'm thinking motor bearings OK, seem right?

I guess the real question is how do I get to this motor? I have the parts drawing so that can be referenced.

Thanks Much,

Prof. Maneuver
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 6:26:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like the motor start winding has gone bad. The correction is to replace the motor. You have to lift up the top panel, remove the front panel and the toe panel and remove the drum.

- The part number for the motor AP3176458

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL CGM2761JQ0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Prof. Maneuver  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 8:45:41 PM(UTC)
Prof. Maneuver

Yeah, that's about as rotten a job as I expected. Somehow, my local parts guys said right motor is P/N 279787 which looks very similar from pictures. Would you change the belt while you were at it? The only thing I've ever done to this machine is a thermal fuse.

Thanks again,

Steve (aka Prof. Maneuver)
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 8:54:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome Steve. The part number for the motor came up according to the model number you posted. It is a good idea to inspect all parts after you'll take the dryer apart. If you'll order them from APP then you should have them in one or two days.

Gene.
magician59  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:47:02 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

I would consider replacing the belt, idler and rear tumbler supports, while you have it open; just so you don't have to go back into it any time soon. Also, it's a good idea to thoroughly blow or vacuum out all the loose lint, while you have that kind of access.
Prof. Maneuver  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:48:27 PM(UTC)
Prof. Maneuver

Once again, thanks Magician and Gene! Great advice, this is a good forum. Will definitely go to town with the vacuum when that far apart.

Cheers!

Steve
Prof. Maneuver  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 11:56:40 AM(UTC)
Prof. Maneuver

Folks-

Well, replaced motor, belt and all the felt seals I could improvise, vacuumed out everything and recovered $.84 in change trapped between the drive ribs and the drum : wow what a difference in noise! Impellor was a bear to break loose ( yeah I know, left-hand threads). Heard the racket from the drive ribs for years; thought it was loose hardware vs foreign objects. Have some interesting "rock tumbled" coins.

Again, thanks to you experts for helping out; I'll try to return the favor!

Cheers,

Steve
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply