Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mreddy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:30:40 PM(UTC)
mreddy

Groups: Registered

Basically I've got a front load Kenmore elite king size dryer. It is constantly shutting off. I'll turn the nob to 80 minutes and it will turn off in a couple minutes. Doesn't matter if I do auto sense or timed it just shuts off.

This problem has been going on for months and in the past if you just spun the knob a few times or went back and forth a few times it would do ok again. Now its to the point where it wont run unless I hold the start button in the whole time. Soon as I let go no matter what it shuts off. I'm guessing its the timer since there really isn't much else too it.

Anyone got any other ideas or would you agree its likely the timer? Heat's fine when its actually running.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:13:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If this is a gas model, check the posts on this forum about problems with gas dryers shutting off. I think you will find info to fix your machine (I do not work on gas appliances, but most of the other folks who respond on this forum do, so check their entries)

If that does get you to a solution, Can you post the full model number?, Thanks
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:52:50 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: mreddy Go to Quoted Post
Basically I've got a front load Kenmore elite king size dryer. It is constantly shutting off. I'll turn the nob to 80 minutes and it will turn off in a couple minutes. Doesn't matter if I do auto sense or timed it just shuts off.

This problem has been going on for months and in the past if you just spun the knob a few times or went back and forth a few times it would do ok again. Now its to the point where it wont run unless I hold the start button in the whole time. Soon as I let go no matter what it shuts off. I'm guessing its the timer since there really isn't much else too it.

Anyone got any other ideas or would you agree its likely the timer? Heat's fine when its actually running.

Without the full model #, we cannot see what you have. On some models there is a heat control board, ,behind the control panel. That would give the symptom of you having to hold the start button down, for it to run. How about the whole model #. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
mreddy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:50:33 PM(UTC)
mreddy

Well unfortunetly its not the timer. I replaced the timer and it worked for a day or so and then repeated the same problem.

Full model is 110.63932101

One other thing that I have discovered is that when the problem is occuring and the tryer wont run unless I hold the start button, if I unplug the dryer and plug it back in.. it works fine again.. for a random amount of time.
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:31:16 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Looking at that model it does have the board behind the control panel. It is called a microcomputer. When it goes bad, it gives those symptoms. Unfortunantly you replace the timer, and it was not cheap, and neither is microcomputer. I wish you would have come back sooner with that model #. I would have talked you out of that Timer. I always carry the microcomputer. It is the problem about 90% of the times. The part # is 8546229. Let me know how it goes. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:42:50 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Tom

I have not worked on those, so that is very good information to have.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sidfink43
mreddy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:07:05 PM(UTC)
mreddy

*sigh* well I have replaced the timer and the board so far and its STILL doing that stupid crap.. what else is there?? It keeps shutting off and I have to unplug it and plug it back in then it dries again for a random amount of time.. i'm getting very tired of this dryer.
kayakcrzy  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 3:30:56 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: mreddy Go to Quoted Post
*sigh* well I have replaced the timer and the board so far and its STILL doing that stupid crap.. what else is there?? It keeps shutting off and I have to unplug it and plug it back in then it dries again for a random amount of time.. i'm getting very tired of this dryer.

I am a liitle confused about this new twist of unplugging it, and plugging it in. As a technical person, that fact that you unplug it, and plug it in, does nothing to the dryer. Could there be a bad connection, in the plug or the wall plug. Have you tried to get an extention cord, and try to plug it in to a different wall plug? Also about the random amount of time. When it goes off, can you immediatly turn it back on? If not it could be the motor. Check these things out and let us know. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply