Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
allenm  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:13:52 PM(UTC)
allenm

Groups: Registered

I've got my dryer apart and it looks like the igniter has no continuity so that's at the top of my list. What's got me buffaloed though is getting the darned belt back on and the drum in.

I can foresee a hellacious struggle getting the belt back around the drum while keeping it from falling off the idler/motor pulleys. Are there any tricks some wise, elder appliance wizard would care to impart? Also, when I put the drum back into position to I push the drum in until the rear idler wheels pop into place? I think that's the only way it's going to happen but it'd be nice to know going in.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, that ought to "belt replacement tricks"
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 3:04:36 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I am not elderly or a wizard but I will do my best. The drum will basically sit on the rollers while you hook the belt from the front. However if you are not use to how the belt hooks it might be best if you hook it from the back. On most Maytag dryers you have an access panel on the back that you can see the belt as you hook it to the motor pulley and idler pulley. Also if you decide to attach the belt from the back you can go ahead and put the front back on before you do so that way the drum will not try to fall forward on you. Hope this helps! Clothes Dryer Repair Guide
allenm  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 3:22:05 PM(UTC)
allenm

Thanks applianceman but in a bitter blow to my notions about my ability to predict the future, it worked out pretty well.

My Maytag, a Performa PYG2300AWW, has no back panel access so I had to puzzle out how to manage the trick from the front.

At first it looked pretty formidable what with no view of the work area and room for only one hand but with the right approach it's not that tough so for the benefit of those who find themselves in the same position as I am, here you go:

Slide the drum about half way into the dryer and put the drive belt over the drum far enough so it can't slide off.

Finish pushing the drum back until it contacts the unit and then engage the idler wheels at the back of the drum. This requires a bit of pressure, rotation and maybe angling the drum a bit but it shouldn't be too tough.

Once the drum pops into the place on the rear idler wheels move the drive belt to it's proper location on the drum - make sure the grooved side is facing the drum and it's not twisted - there out to be a mark left by the belt.

With the belt properly positioned reach into the dryer and push the belt idler pulley out of the way against the pressure of the spring with the back of your wrist. It's not a real strong spring so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

While holding the belt idler pulley back grab the belt and put it over the drive pulley. Make sure it's on the pulley and not on the motor shaft.

Try to ease your hand out of the way so the idler pulley spring doesn't snap the idler pulley back, that might spoil everything.

The idler pulley will pull the belt taut. Give the drum a couple of rotations by hand to make sure the belt's tracking properly. If it is, you're done.

Hope this helps someone.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply