Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dpswitched  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:40:26 PM(UTC)
dpswitched

Groups: Registered

This weekend we noticed our Kenmore (series 90) electric dryer was had an extreme burning smell and smoke coming from it. We turned it off and I opened it up later to find the bottom packed full of lint that obviously had been burning. I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned the entire thing. Put it all back together and when I push start it spins with a buzzing sound for about 15 seconds, then shuts off and it won't restart immediately. After waiting 30 to 60 seconds their is a little click sound and it will start again, with the same buzzing and shut off pattern.
I called a parts store and they suspected it was the motor, so I picked one up and replaced it and the belt. Got the dryer all back together and still the same problem. I can't figure out what the problem is and I'm down $135 for the motor to boot. :-(
I got up close to the under side during one of these cycles and I think the click sound is coming from the heater coil chamber, but I'm not totally sure.
The dryer is a Kenmore 90 Series Dryer (model: 110.60912990)
Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kawfeeman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:54:09 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

does the blower rotate freely ?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:37:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have clogged ducting in the house causing this. Verify you wired the new motor correctly per the schematic, basically, you should have 115 volts to pins 4&5 of the motor. You may have fused wires going to the motor.
As a servicer, I usually condem a dryer with damaged wiring and obvious smoke damage!
dpswitched  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:51:03 AM(UTC)
dpswitched

Kawfeeman,
Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, the blower moves freely. I've cleaned the entire inside of that dryer. It looks like new. Any other thoughts?
dpswitched  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:55:23 AM(UTC)
dpswitched

richappy,
Thank you for replying to mys posting. I have thoroughly cleaned all the ducting and every inch of the inside of this dryer. I hear you on condeming the dryer, but funds are pretty tight right now and it cleaned up nicely. I will re-inspect the wiring, but I did not notice any damage to any of them. The connector to the motor is one piece, so I did not have a choice on crossing those connections. Plus the symptoms were the same before I replaced the motor, so I'm thinking it is something else. Any other thoughts?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:25:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Pull the drum out, short the door switch and the belt break switch, if there is one, and monitor pins 4&5 of the motor to check for 115 volt when the dryer is turned on.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:38:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Pull the drum out, short the door switch and the belt break switch, if there is one, and monitor pins 4&5 of the motor to check for 115 volt when the dryer is turned on. If you have an amprobe check motor current also.
dpswitched  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:50:28 AM(UTC)
dpswitched

hi richappy,
Well, I figured it out. I had crossed the neutral and one of the 110v leads on the power cord when I put it back on. Once I corrected that it worked like a champ. Much quieter too! I probably did not need a new motor, but it has one now.
Thanks again for all your pointers.
dpswitched
richappy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:29:40 PM(UTC)
richappy

Uh, check your timer motor, it may be blown out!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply