Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rphaunef  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:50:14 AM(UTC)
rphaunef

Groups: Registered

This dryer is 3yrs old and it is not blowing any air and is not heating up. Was working a couple of days ago. The drum is still working and all other electronics are working fine. How can I tell if the issue is the blower motor, heating element or might it be a sensor or other part that is causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 6:21:45 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi

I would first check and see if you have 120 volts coming to each side of the connector block using a test meter.

If you do, then unplug the machine and open up the console to see if there is a tech sheet and trouble shooting guide in there. GE does not let folks outside of the company have much access to technical info about their dryers, but yours sounds like a classic fuse/thermostat/thermistor problem, so if the tech sheet is not helpful I would focus in that direction.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
applianceman  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 6:16:37 PM(UTC)
applianceman

This dryer has two motors the blower motor and the drive motor and the heating element will not come on unless the blower motor is running. I read this post the other day and meant to grab my manual on this machine from the shop but forgot I will get it Monday when I go in and maybe I can help you more then.

For do-it-yourself appliance repair help visit Appliance Repair Guide For All Major Home Appliances
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:42:48 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Applianceman is correct at his assumption. If the vent motor is bad, you would only get a quick burst of heat for about 30 seconds until the heat would cut off. They have had quite a few problems with those motors. Did you look in the vent tube to be sure there is no obstruction? You also have a squirrell cage in the front. Usually, if the squirrell cage is broken in the front, you would hear it in a noisy sort of way still turning when the dryer is shut off. I would also check the element. I would also make sure you have 240 volts coming to the terminal block on the back of the dryer, where the cord comes into it. Post what you have found. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
rphaunef  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 9:33:44 AM(UTC)
rphaunef

Did check and there is 240 volts coming in. Also there are no obstruction. Just the other day I tried the dryer again and the blower came one for about a min and I heard it spin down. When the blower was working it was also heating, but as soon as the blower stopped the heat stopped also. I am going to tear it down to get to the blower. Is there away I can test the motor? Thanks for all the help.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 2:54:29 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Assuming nothing is blocking the motor because if comes on at first. Check for ohms across the motor windings. When you get to the motor you should see a plug with two yellow wires, two red wires, two blue wires, and a few more you don’t need to be concerned with. Unplug the plug and check ohms on the motor side of the plug. There should be approximately 14 ohm from red to red, blue to blue and yellow to yellow. If not the motor is bad.

You can put this machine into the field service mode to view the errors here is how to do that.

• Turn the dryer on.
  • Go to the home screen.
  • Press help.
  • Press and hold my cycles and back simultaneously for 3 seconds.
Once done you can view the errors, post what it says. Note that once you exit this mode it will erase the errors so write them down.
rphaunef  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 3:31:37 PM(UTC)
rphaunef

Wow. I just paid a Certified GE repair tech to look at the dryer and he didnt even know how to do what you just suggested. That was 85.00 down the drain. Any ways the error message that I got was "The blower is not getting up to speed. Please check replace if necessary." I believe that, that is proof of what is going one. Any other suggestion. The reason I am asking is the "ceritifed GE repair man" stated that if he were to service the unit he would suggest replacing the Heating element and the control board. I asked why and he said that most likely they are burnt up also. From what I have read, that should not happen because once the blower stops working then the heating element only stays active for 30sec then shuts itself off to keep from burning up and also to keep from the unit catching fire. Is this correct?

I really appreciate all the info you have given so far. I am getting real confident that i can repair the unit instead of buy another dryer. Looking forward to your response.
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 4:44:48 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I wouldn’t think the heating element is bad but it could be the inverter board or the blower motor. You can check the motor as I described above and if it checks bad replace it. The only problem is that I have seen a few motors on this model check good as far as ohms goes but end up having to replace it to get it going. In any case it can be the inverter board, the motor or the wiring in between. But unless he checked the heater and determined it to be bad I don’t think it is causing your problem.
rphaunef  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 4:51:41 PM(UTC)
rphaunef

I will start with the motor. The inverter board is where? I was looking at the diagram on this site for my model and didnt see anything refering to an inverter board. Next question if this inverter board is bad would it give the same error message from field service mode error?
applianceman  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 6:16:48 PM(UTC)
applianceman

On the parts break down they call it the pcb asm-main #31 on the control and top panel. Probably the same board your service tech was thinking of changing. This board controls the blower motor and can cause the same error massage. All that error massage is indicating is that the motor is not getting up to speed not necessarily that the motor is bad. I do think the motor is the most likely cause but I can be the board as well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply