Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlochala  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 5:48:33 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Groups: Registered

This morning when we attempted to start a load of clothes, our dryer made a buzzing noise but wouldn't start rotating the drum. We shut it off.

I attempted to rotate the drum by hand. It would not rotate clockwise at all, but it would rotate counter-clockwise very slowly and with much force applied to it. Normally, if I recall correctly, it will rotate both ways with not too much effort required.

I held the door switch and attempted a push start of the drum while my wife pressed the start button. It did start spinning, but it was fairly obvious that it was struggling and it kept making a clicking noise until if finally stopped again. There seemed to be a slight overheating smell as well.

My first question is, obviously, what could be the source of this problem? Is this a motor issue, a drive belt issue, etc.?

Secondly, how do I disassemble this model to check it out? I have repaired my washer before, but never the dryer. Just quickly looking at it (I had to get ready for work) I couldn't see an obvious way to open it up to check the belt or other driveline components.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:40:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KEYE670BWH3 ELECTRIC DRYER | AppliancePartsPros.com

Sounds like the drum is binding for some reason.
Run your fingers around the drum seal at the front and the back to see if something is jammed in there. Be careful in case it is sharp.

If OK you will have to open it up and check the drum mounting and moving parts ( idler wheel, rear support wheels, motor bearings, front drum support glides, drum seals etc.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that may help you open it up. There are many of them so you should be able to find one that matches your unit if this one does not give you enough info.
Dryer Belt (Whirlpool made dryers, part #341241)-How To Replace - YouTube

Also here is a manual which may be useful.
http://appliancedigest.com/index.php?/files/file/334-l-63-whirlpool-27-inch-gas-electric-dryers-service-manual/
You have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals and other info for the appliance repair DIYer.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply