Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JCGreg  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:52:04 PM(UTC)
JCGreg

Groups: Registered

After finally taking apart my GE profile dryer and repairing the rear drum bearing and replacing the belt, the dryer spins fine but now there is no heat. Since the dryer sat idle (broken) for many months, it collected a bit of dust which I vacuumed up before reassembling. I took the front off again to check if I accidentally knocked any wire loose from the burner during vacuuming, but I couldn't see anything obvious.
What are some of the first things I should check before attempting to replace/repair any of the burner components? Some of the burner parts are expensive so I'd rather target the "easy" and obvious fixes first.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:57:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi JC

I am assuming the machine runs normally, just no heat because the gas burner is not coming on. You should use a meter to check the thermostats on the dryer. If either one is open it will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, these are not inexpensive parts either.

If your electrical connections all check out you will have to move on to the gas components, and I recommend you review the posts on this forum to see what to look at (I am not a gas man)

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
JCGreg  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:56:53 PM(UTC)
JCGreg

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the dryer was running normally (as far as I could tell) after reassembling but it wasn't heating up.
Today I removed the drum, and verified that the burner components are getting 120 VAC during operation. I then also verified that the electric ignition element initially glows when the dryer starts but then fades (turns off) as no gas ignites in the burner chamber.
Should I try replacing the coils?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 5:43:22 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi JC

I am not a gas man, but if your electrical fuses/thermostats are ok, then the coils seem to be the repair of choice for gas dryers. It is an inexpensive and easy repair, so I would recommend you do it if for no other reason than to rule them out.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
JCGreg  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:37:52 AM(UTC)
JCGreg

Replacing the gas coils (using Frigidair parts) did the trick. Dryer works again! Thanks for all your help.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:20:35 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, glad you got it fixed!

As I said I am not a gas man, but it seems replacing the coils almost always does the trick.

Thanks for updating us, its very helpful to me and the folks who read these posts.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply