Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
quikduk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:52:41 PM(UTC)
quikduk

Groups: Registered

The other day, the dryer would start running, start heating and then within 1-5 minutes stop completely. I bought a manual today and tested every component I could find with my multi-meter. I also completely cleaned out what little lint was in the tube, screen and from various parts. Here is what checks out ok per the manual re: 0 Ohms or various levels or resistance.

1. temp. switch (3 position...yet only two terminals on back)
2. push to start switch
3. pulser timer switch (type A)
4. pulser timer motor
5. door switch
6. motor start switch (didn't remove but motor starts ok) BTW, I tried this with the gas valve, igniter and radiant sensor disconnected and the dryer did NOT shut off and had good air flow from the exhaust duct.
7. igniter (+/- 105 Ohms)
8. radiant sensor (flame?)
9. thermal fuse
10. bias thermostat
11. bias heater
12. thermal cut off

No high limit or other operating thermostats are present on this model. every other component is in good shape. The only other things I could not verify were the burner coils allthough I got 0 and then 453 and 786 Ohms respectively from the terminals.

I did notice that when the igniter would light the gas, the flame appeared to be "spilling" over the rear of the igniter heat shield on the left side close to the Radiant Sensor. Could this be the issue or could my coils be going bad?

Suffice it to say that with a family of four and the dryer being down for 3-4 days allready, dirty clothes are starting to pile up in and on the hampers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:14:19 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi

It sounds like you have a gas problem, and I cannot help you because I am an electric guy, so I am going to ask some of the respondes who know about gas to jump in.

If no one replies I recommend you get a gas service tech out, because messing with gas is very dangerous.

Good luck and I hope you get a reply soon.
quikduk  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:56:23 AM(UTC)
quikduk

Thanks for the hint. I actually replaced the gas coils (as every other component tested perfectly) and it started working correctly again.

The other day it did the same thing but has not since. If it repeats itself, I am not sure what else it could be. The Thermostat or other components could be weakening but they either should work or not but not sporadically.

Thanks again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:57:20 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Thanks for updating us, glad it is working. I agree with you, the sporadic on/off is a mystery, but hopefully it was just the dryer gods playing with you before letting your dryer work without a problem.

Thanks again, and good luck gong forward.
lynette786  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:38:31 AM(UTC)
lynette786

Quikduk,

My mother is having the same problem that you are. Can you tell me the part numbers for the items that you replaced to keep the dryer running? You'd mentioned something about the burner coils?

Thanks,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply