Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pdevins  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:01:40 PM(UTC)
pdevins

Groups: Registered

First off thanks for a great site with much useful information.

I had a noisy but functioning dryer which I believed needed a replacement blower fan. Replacement went smoothly and even thought to buy an extra clip in case it broke when I replace it.

Checked that when drum spins, so does the fan.

Well all back together and NOW the drum doesnt spin.

Checked belt, opened back and everything looks fine although the question of which side the groves should go on is still debateable, but again nothing should have changed in this area.

Motor shaft spins.

Before I go and replace, rollers, belt, etc. am I missing something? Also how does one determine when the rollers need to be replaced or is that something that should be done every couple of years?

Looking in the back the spring tension (pulley tensioner) seems weak, but again I didnt change anything in this area (not at least that Im aware of).

Appreciate any assistance.

Wife agro is growing and I feel silly at fixing one thing and having something else become inoperable... but then again I work with computers a lot and thats a common situation.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:47:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your motor pulley is grooved so the grooved side of the belt should face the pulley. Flat side should ride against the idler pulley.

Before I go and replace, rollers, belt, etc. am I missing something?
Cannot say.
Check that the belt is around the idler correctly. There is a STICKY with pictures at the top of this forum.

Also how does one determine when the rollers need to be replaced or is that something that should be done every couple of years?

Usually they start thumping or squealing. They do not need to be replaced unless they are causing a noise.

Try turning the drum by hand, it should turn fairly easily.
Perhaps try this on a couple other dryers to get a feel for it.
Could be that one of the felt seals is jamming it or a front glide could use replacing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
pdevins  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:13:00 PM(UTC)
pdevins

Thanks. It turns out the belt was in the channel and not the rise of the drum. I made the mistake of "assuming" that the belt belongs in the channel to prevent it from drifting. Once placed on rise it worked just fine because it increased the tension on the belt.
Harding Family  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:04:42 AM(UTC)
Harding Family

Thanks to the information on this site I was able to resolve a problem with my Maytag Gas Dryer that is about 20 years old. It's still in good condition but I recently had to replace the blower fan cage and I noticed the front drum guides were worn so I replaced those also which required I drill out some rivets and replace with new ones they supplied with the drum guide kit.
After doing all that work and reassembling I was having similar symptoms as posted on this thread. The drum would turn but it sounded like it was rubbing on something like the felt seals were somehow restricting it. It would turn with light loads but sounded like it was rubbing. With heavier loads the drum would not rotate. I took it apart and put back together several times and could not resolve it.
Finally after seeing the suggestion to make sure the drum belt was around the larger part of the drum and not in the channel of the drum, this fixed my problem. Now it works great again. I made the same mistake because they belt just kind of automatically goes down in that channel when you are working on it. To get it out of the channel I simply removed the front panel and while dryer was off reached back with one hand on each side of the drum in the upper right and left corners pulled the belt toward the front while rotating the drum clockwise. Once belt was solidly on the drum I tested it and bingo. Problem solved. I had spent much time on this already and was thinking I was going to have to get a new belt or idler pulley but those looked good and I couldn't figure out why it would have developed a new problem. Turns out it was only caused by taking the dryer apart and putting back together.
Thanks again.
Harding Family.:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply