Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobG68  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:04:23 PM(UTC)
BobG68

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Neptune dryer Model # MDG6800AWW approximately 6 years old. Everything seems to be operating correctly with the exception that the dryer does not dry clothes properly. The dryer can sometimes run for 3 hrs before done. The igniter starts the flame but it only heats the drum for 1-3 seconds and then cycles off. The #23-ignitor was replaced last year along with a #22-High limit T-Stat. It makes no difference if the dryer is set to sensor dry or time dry or if it is set to medium heat or normal. After reading some posts I had decided to do some tests. First I checked the lint trap and cleaned the vent pipe thoroughly. I checked the vent outside for proper flow but my issue remained. I removed the front cover of the unit and pulled the wires off to #22- High limit T- Stat and put the wires together. The igniter lit and the flame started up and remained on. It did not shut off within a few seconds like my initial problem. I then replaced the wires on the hi-limit T-Stat and did the same test to the #21- Flame Sensor. This time the igniter lit but no gas was released to start a flame. I also checked the coils with a multi tester. Here are the results: Coil with 2 terminals measured 1500 ohms (should be 1220 +-50), Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left and middle terminals measured 2000 ohms (should be 1365 +-25), Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left & right terminals which measured 600 ohms (should be 560 +-25). I then checked the following items with the meter: Thermal Fuse, Cycling Thermostat &, Flame Sensor. The results were they all measured “0”. Wide open. I then checked the thermistor which measured approximately 16,0000 ohms. Although the coils measured slightly different than what the tolerances should be, are these differences enough to generate my problem or would you say the coils are okay and the problem sounds like another bad #22- High limit T-Stat, due to when jumped the flame remained on? Although it did measure 0 ohms when tested. Or do you think the issue is something else entirely.

[FONT='Times New Roman']Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

raybarahona67@gmail.com  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:11:56 PM(UTC)
raybarahona67@gmail.com

Originally Posted by: BobG68 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Maytag Neptune dryer Model # MDG6800AWW approximately 6 years old. Everything seems to be operating correctly with the exception that the dryer does not dry clothes properly. The dryer can sometimes run for 3 hrs before done. The igniter starts the flame but it only heats the drum for 1-3 seconds and then cycles off. The #23-ignitor was replaced last year along with a #22-High limit T-Stat. It makes no difference if the dryer is set to sensor dry or time dry or if it is set to medium heat or normal. After reading some posts I had decided to do some tests. First I checked the lint trap and cleaned the vent pipe thoroughly. I checked the vent outside for proper flow but my issue remained. I removed the front cover of the unit and pulled the wires off to #22- High limit T- Stat and put the wires together. The igniter lit and the flame started up and remained on. It did not shut off within a few seconds like my initial problem. I then replaced the wires on the hi-limit T-Stat and did the same test to the #21- Flame Sensor. This time the igniter lit but no gas was released to start a flame. I also checked the coils with a multi tester. Here are the results: Coil with 2 terminals measured 1500 ohms (should be 1220 +-50), Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left and middle terminals measured 2000 ohms (should be 1365 +-25), Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left & right terminals which measured 600 ohms (should be 560 +-25). I then checked the following items with the meter: Thermal Fuse, Cycling Thermostat &, Flame Sensor. The results were they all measured “0”. Wide open. I then checked the thermistor which measured approximately 16,0000 ohms. Although the coils measured slightly different than what the tolerances should be, are these differences enough to generate my problem or would you say the coils are okay and the problem sounds like another bad #22- High limit T-Stat, due to when jumped the flame remained on? Although it did measure 0 ohms when tested. Or do you think the issue is something else entirely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the coils are bad, it's an easy fix
BobG68  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:19:16 AM(UTC)
BobG68

Hi Ray, I wanted to thank you for replying to my post. I too suspected that the issue was the coils so I purchased a new set and installed them. Just my luck that didnt do the trick. I thought for sure that was the issue but it was not. I went out and purchased a digital mutil meter to get the most accurate readings. I checked the new coils resistence and compared it to the old coils. They were pretty much the same results. I guess the tolerences given to me last year for another issue weren't exactly correct. At any rate, I re-checked all the componenents that I had originally checked and all their results mentioned in my original post were confirmed with this new meter. So, the bottom line is I am not coming up with any obvious issues. The vents are clean and free of lint. I have even ran the dryer disconnected from the vent line to make sure it wasnt vent related. The #21-flame sensor, #22-hi limit thermostat, #38 Thermostat high-limit (cycling thermostat) & #40 Thermal fuse all "0" out. The new coils measure:New Coil with 2 terminals measured 1270, New Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left and middle terminals measured 1880 ohms & New Coil with 3 terminals I tested the left & right terminals which measured 600 ohms. Setting the multimeter to 2k, the #41 thermistor measured 14.87 and when I jumped it, the dryer would not start. It was receiveing current but it would only allow the dryer to start for a split second and then shut down. When I run the dryer it takes approx 3hrs to dry a load. The very first burn in the cycle lasts around 25-30 seconds subsequent burns only last for around 5 but are somewhat frequent. I don't know whatelese to test or look at, any suggestions would be very much appreciated. best regards, Bob
BobG68  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 1:56:33 PM(UTC)
BobG68

Another part of information I can report to you is that no matter what type of cycle is selected, be it sensor dry or time dry and no matter which temperature is selected, the dryers heat cycle turns on every 45 seconds and burns for 7 seconds and shuts off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply