Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobG68  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:45:22 PM(UTC)
BobG68

Groups: Registered

Hi Guys, I have a Maytag Neptune dryer approximately 6 years old. Everything seems to be operating correctly with the exception that the dryer does not heat up properly. The ignitor starts the flame but it only heats for 1-3 seconds and it cycles off. The ignitor was replaced last year along with a High limit T-Stat part number AP4036956 (303395). It makes no difference if the dryer is set to sensor dry or time dry or if it is set to medium hear or normal. The same issue occurs no matter the settings. If you could possibly shed some light on what the issue could be, or any tests I may possibly run it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

BobG68  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 7:49:56 PM(UTC)
BobG68

Originally Posted by: BobG68 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys, I have a Maytag Neptune dryer approximately 6 years old. Everything seems to be operating correctly with the exception that the dryer does not heat up properly. The ignitor starts the flame but it only heats for 1-3 seconds and it cycles off. The ignitor was replaced last year along with a High limit T-Stat part number AP4036956 (303395). It makes no difference if the dryer is set to sensor dry or time dry or if it is set to medium heat or normal. The same issue occurs no matter the settings. If you could possibly shed some light on what the issue could be, or any tests I may possibly run it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob

After reading some posts I had decided to do some tests. I had accidentally removed the wires from the #22- High limit thermostat - AP4036956 thinking it was the flame sensor and put them together. The ignitor lit and the flame did start up and remained on. When I realized what I had done, I then replaced the wires on the hi limit thermo and did the same test to the actual #21- Flame Sensor - AP2910747. This time the ignitor lit but no gas was released to start a flame. Not even for a short time like my original issue. Despite replacing the Hi limit thermostat only last year, is it safe to assume that is the problem and should be replaced again, or is it something else entirely different, such as the coils? If it is the Hi limit thermo, Is there an ohlm test that I should run to confirm or is the test I performed confirmation enough? thanks, Bob

UPDATE: I haven't heard from any experts so I decided to check the coils with an ohlm meter. Here are the results: Coil w/ 2 terminals measured 1500 ohlms (should be 1220 +-50), Coil w/3 terminals left and middle termianls measured 2000 ohlms (should be 1365 +-25), Coil w/ 3 terminals left & right terminals measured 600 ohlms (should be 560 +-25). Although they all showed a similar resistence to what the tolerences should be, are these differences enough to generate my problem of the flame continuously cycling off only after a few seconds of burning? or would you say these coils are okay and the problem sounds like the #22- High limit thermostat - AP4036956 due to when jumped, the flame remained on? thanks, Bob
grubxx96  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 2:33:05 PM(UTC)
grubxx96

Originally Posted by: BobG68 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys, I have a Maytag Neptune dryer approximately 6 years old. Everything seems to be operating correctly with the exception that the dryer does not heat up properly. The ignitor starts the flame but it only heats for 1-3 seconds and it cycles off. The ignitor was replaced last year along with a High limit T-Stat part number AP4036956 (303395). It makes no difference if the dryer is set to sensor dry or time dry or if it is set to medium hear or normal. The same issue occurs no matter the settings. If you could possibly shed some light on what the issue could be, or any tests I may possibly run it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob

bob, did you ever get this fixed? if so, what was the problem? george.......grubxx96@yahoo.com
BobG68  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 2:55:47 PM(UTC)
BobG68

No, I never did get it fixed. I have been hoping for a reply and in the meantime we have been using it as is. I am truly baffled!
Bob
grubxx96  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:48:33 AM(UTC)
grubxx96

i fixed the problem. first i thought it was that the flame wasn't being "proved" therefore it would be the flame sensor. then i thought it was the high limit switch, when i jumped the switch the flame stayed on and the dryer worked. actually it was the vent going to the roof, it was clogged. because of that the high limit switch was sensing high heat and shutting down. i cleanened the vent and other tues and the dryer works great. all for FREE! what a wonderful thing. something for free doesn't happen much these days.
thanks all for answering my question.
george
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply