Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Turbotom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:27:50 PM(UTC)
Turbotom

Groups: Registered

I thought I had "no heat" problems on driers figured out after fixing a $1000 Whirlpool, just had to replace the thermal cut off and high limit on that unit, but ended up replacing the fuse and thermister (sp) just to be on the safe side.. Only one sensor on the heating element tube showed open.

Now I am trying to fix my little brothers old drier. The heating element, and the thermal cut off and high limit all registered something on my multimeter, nothing showed open. Fuse should around .02 or something right around there as did the 2 other sensors. The heating element was higher, can't remember the exact numbers.

I don't know how to check for 240 at the outlet, but both breakers were showing on. I'm going to try fliping them off and on slowly to see if that solves anything. Can anyone tell me how to check for 240 at the outlet and maybe what else I might need to look at or test.

On the whirlpool unit the thermistor showed open and only had two prongs, but on my brothers kenmore it has 4 wires running to it. I got a reading on two leads that were across from each other, but open on the other 2. I don't know what that should be reading or even what it does.

The sensors on the heating element were reading really low, so I was thinking about replacing both of them and the fuse and see if that does anything but I know that is a shot in the dark...

Thanks for any help ahead of time,
Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:24:49 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

The best way to check the power is to take the plate off the back of the dryer, where the cord goes in. Then you will see three terminals where the cord hooks up to. put 1 meter lead on one end, and the other on the other end, and you should read 240 volts. If you check from one end to the middle terminal, you should read 120 volts. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Turbotom  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:29:08 PM(UTC)
Turbotom

Thanks for the info Tom..

I just ordered a new fuse , high limit sensor and Thermal Cut off. Even though none of these items showed "open" , I'm going to give them a shot.

One more question. This drier had a 4 pronged thermistor that did show open. Since the drier is so old, the model # is not coming up in a search and I don't have the part at my house to get the part # off if it. Should thermistors show open?

Thanks Again,
Tom
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:24:02 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

That 4 wire thermastat you will get a reading from the top terminal to the bottom terminal, but should not get a reading from the left terminal to the right terminal. Also always remember to take 1 wire off of whatever you are checking. You also could jump out all those parts for diagostic reasons, but never leave them jumped out. Let me know how it goes. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Turbotom  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:13:19 PM(UTC)
Turbotom

Will let you know what happens once the new parts come in and go from there.. I did have a reading on the thermostat from top to bottom but no reading from left to right...

Might be Monday before the parts get here, will post again that night

Thanks Again, Tom
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply