Discuss

Dryer won't start.

in

Dryer Repair

. "

My dryer was working fine yesterday, I can't remember if I actually started it this morning, but when I went

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer won't start.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM

kayleediane is on a distinguished road
Default Dryer won't start.
Brand: Admiral   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

My dryer was working fine yesterday, I can't remember if I actually started it this morning, but when I went to switch the laundry over the clothes inside were still wet. When my husband was in the shower this morning he said that the water and the lights very briefly shut off. We checked the breaker and that is fine, the belt fine, the pully is fine. The light is not on, when I first checked it this morning you could hear the timer very faintly and then when I tried it again later there was nothing.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

kayakcrzy will become famous soon enough

you need to replace the thermal fuse. the part # is la-1053. if you unplug the dryer, you will need to pop up the top of the dryer. get a putty knife, and slide it under the top on the right side, about 3 inches from the end, and you will hit a clip to release the top, do the same on the other side, and then push the top back and rest it on the back wall. now, up top, in the rear, right in the middle, is the heating element. on the right side of the element housing, about 6 inches down is the thermal fuse. just follow the 2 white wires. the kit will come with the thermostat mounted on top of the heating element. replace it too. but the most inportant thing to do, is to take off the front and clean the blower housing it is all full of lint. just look inside the front, on the right and left side, about 4 inches from the top is a 1/4 inch screw, remove it on each side, and then lean the front towards you, and take the wires off the door switch, and remember where they go, and then lift up on the whole front, and clean the blower housing. clean the vent hose out behind the dryer, and be sure it is clear to the outside. good luck, and let me know how it goes. tom
Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a name known to all

When you checked the breaker did you just look at it.
If yes, then try turning it off/on slowly a couple times.
It is not uncommon to loose half the line without actually tripping the breaker.

If you have a meter check the voltage at the plug.
Should be 120 volts between L1 and Neutral and between L2 and Neutral.
Also 240 between L1 and L2.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

La-1053 is the answer. Cut and dry denman!! No need to complicate it!! Tom
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM

what is LA 1053?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 AM

Never mind figured it out. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 AM

We cleaned everything out last night, we will go and get the part today. I will let you know, thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Okay we did what you said and it is working now, but we only had it on for about 15 seconds and it really stinks and my husband seems to think the back of it was warmer than it should be for that short amount of time. Any ideas what might be causing the smell?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

The back is where the element is. It should be warmer. Turn the dryer on and go outside where the vent is, and make sure the air is coming out good. The smell might be lint on the element. Tom ********************************************
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.