Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 1:15:47 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

The dryer will not start. I checked continuity on door switch, thermal switch, but the push-on switch is questionable. What is the correct way to test it? If that is not the problem either, what next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 9:01:53 PM(UTC)

My gas dryer won't start (LGT 7646DQ1) There is power and the inside light works. Continuity tests showed no problem with thermostat, sensors, door switch. How do you test the push start switch when apparently a relay inside the switch resets every time the door switch opens and closes, as well as when the timer cycles off and on? Do you have to test it when the relay is in the "on" state? or not? or, exactly how do you test it? I am about to test continuity in the timer switches according to the wiring diagram that was taped inside the cabinet. Which of those connections, if not working, could cause the dryer to not start? If the timer has any malfunction, there goes my next/last $100!
denman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:46:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LGT7646DQ1 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the wiring diagram
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%203401723.pdf

Continuity tests showed no problem with thermostat, sensors, door switch.
Did you remove at least on of the wires from any device you were measuring, just to ensure you were not reading an alternate/parallel circuit path?

How do you test the push start switch

You only have to test the contacts when pushed on. If they are OK then your dryer should still start but would stop as soon as you release the push to start.

I am about to test continuity in the timer switches according to the wiring diagram that was taped inside the cabinet. Which of those connections, if not working, could cause the dryer to not start?
BK/BU contacts and Timer Switch 4

Motor's circuit path is
Neutral , Door Switch , Timer Switch 4 , Centrifugal Switch , Motor Windings , Push To Start Relay contacts, timer contacts BU/BK , L1
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:06:40 AM(UTC)

Thank you Denman. Timer Switch 4 seems to be the culprit, showing 0.L at all positions of timer. I still wonder about the push-to-start button tho. Should it read 0.00 when pushed on or does it have a 1.8 load like I'm seeing?
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:30:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If you are measuring from R1 to R2 (the contacts) they should go to zero when closed. Could be they are a little dirty or pitted.

Note it is always a good idea to short your meter leads together when reading resistance. This will tell you where meter zero is. Also keep them clean.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply