Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dangerboy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2009 9:07:43 PM(UTC)
dangerboy

Groups: Registered

I have a whirlpool dryer that last week stopped turning mid-cycle and would emit a burning odor. After attempting to restart, it would stop making any sound at button press. on friday i removed drum and replaced the rear seal since it appeared to be in bad condition and i thought it might be impeding the dryer from turning properly. however, when running the dryer this evening, we had same problem--drum would stop turning, strange odor, and restarting went dead. Immediately afterwards i attempted to run dryer without drum and motor would not turn. After waiting several minutes i was able to start dryer again and motor turned. What does this sound like? Does it sound like a bad motor? Do most appliance repair stores stock part# s58nxmke-6844 3976707?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:36:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LGQ8000HQ0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Does it sound like a bad motor?
Yes

Since you replaced a rear seal I will assume you checked all the moving parts and the front glides in the unit and all were OK so that is all you should need.

PS: If you have not already done it I would also clean and check the vent system.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dangerboy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:41:33 AM(UTC)
dangerboy

i am trying to remove the old motor. I've removed the spring loaded clips, but i cannot see how to remove the back of the motor stem. do i need to unscrew something? According to the website: The motor has a small pulley on the belt end and a fan blower that is screwed to the other end of the motor. This is a good way to unscrew this LEFT HAND threaded fan blower. If your old motor does not have a flat section to place the crescent wrench on, use a pair of vise-grip pliers to grab the motor shaft. I dont understand the unscrewing part. please advise.
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:08:41 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Use the vice grips to hold the motor shaft from turning and then unscrew the blower wheel.

Sometimes the wheel is frozen onto the shaft and you end up destroying it, trying to get ot off.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dangerboy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:49:13 PM(UTC)
dangerboy

Thanks. I was able to get it off, replaced it, and now the machine seems to be working aok!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply