Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmd_forest  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:38:19 AM(UTC)
jmd_forest

Groups: Registered

Our Kenmore series 70 dryer heater element won't shut off. Initially, the dryer stopped working completely and I found a bad thermo fuse. After replacing the fuse, it worked but I noticed that after finishing the cycle and the motor shutting off, the timer continued to advance and the heater element stayed on. The heater element seems to come on anytime the dryer is plugged in no matter where the timer is.

The motor works fine, the start button works, at least the motor runs after the start button is pushed. and the motor stops after the timer finished the cycle but the heater stays on.

I've ordered a new timer already. I'm looking for any other advice.

Thanks

jmd_forest
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:10:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sounds like you have a grounded element.
Here is a wiring diagram
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208528189.pdf

Unplug the machine.
Remove both wires from the heater.
Measure the heater. Should be around 10 ohms.
Then measure from each side to the case/frame. Should be an open circuit (infinite resistance)

In Auto modes the timer motor gets power through the heating coil when it is off. If the heat coil is grounded it never shuts off so the timer does not advance.

If you do not have a meter you will have to remove the heater and check it visually.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jmd_forest  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:29:18 AM(UTC)
jmd_forest

Thank you for your response.

I have a meter (that's how I found the bad thermo fuse) and I will check the element for ground. I pulled the heater element out when looking for the initial problem with the bad fuse and the element was good. From what I saw there is no way to have a grounded element except for broken coil touching the chassis, and all coils were intact. However, I will measure with a meter ASAP. In the meantime, I unplug the dryer after it buzzes.

We rarely, if ever use auto-mode. We generally use "timed dry". After running through the timed dry cycle, the motor, blower, and heater shut off but the timer continues to advance into the next cycle. Somewhere in the next cycle the heater element comes on.

Also, the heater element comes on when the timer is turned on to "timed dry" before pushing the start button, even with the door open (I can see the heater element glowing)

jmd_forest
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:07:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Also, the heater element comes on when the timer is turned on to "timed dry" before pushing the start button, even with the door open

As far as I know there are only 2 things that can cause this,
1. A grounded element
2. The motor's centrifugal switch for the heater is closed, see right hand side, center of the wiring diagram ( 2M/1M )
This could be caused by several things:
A. Switch contacts are welded shut
B. Centrifugal switch actuator broken or jammed in the motor is running position.
C. Actuator is full of lint.
jmd_forest  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:12:31 AM(UTC)
jmd_forest

Again, thanks for the help.

Could you point me in the direction where I might find the centrifugal switch in the physical dryer?

jmd_forest
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:01:13 PM(UTC)
denman

They are both on the motor.
In most cases the switches themselves are not available yopu have to buy a new motor.
I could not find your unit's parts list so am not 100% sure about this.
jmd_forest  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:22:04 AM(UTC)
jmd_forest

It was a grounded element. I found this out, of course, after I pulled apart the entire unit to test the centrifugal switch since I was sure the element was OK from my initial visual inspection. I was a bit surprised when the switch tested good. I pulled apart the element again and tested with a meter and sure enough, it was grounded. A closer visual inspection revealed one of the ceramic insulators had come loose and allowed the element to touch the middle seperator. I reseated the ceramic insulator, adjusted the element, reinstalled, and all is good.

Thanks for the help. I hope the timer vendor will accept returns.

jmd_forest
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply