Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
landshark  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 1:37:50 PM(UTC)
landshark

Groups: Registered

dryer drum will not spin. hit the start button and I can hear the motor trying to spin but it wont. One of the two dryer slide assemblies has the plastic strip broken off of it, would this be causing enough resistance to stop the drum from spinning. I can spin the fins on the motor freely by hand and it spins the drum. It does not spin real easy but it does spin. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The dryer does heat up and the belt is intact.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 2:27:32 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Model Search

dryer drum will not spin. hit the start button and I can hear the motor trying to spin but it wont.

Try turning the drum by hand it should turn fairly easily. Might be an idea to try this on a couple other driers to get a feel for it.

One of the two dryer slide assemblies has the plastic strip broken off of it, would this be causing enough resistance to stop the drum from spinning.
It could.

I can spin the fins on the motor freely by hand and it spins the drum. It does not spin real easy but it does spin.
The motor has such a high mechanical advantage that this really does not tell you much, other than the motor is not seized.

The dryer does heat up and the belt is intact.
I could not find a wiring diagram for this unit but most driers have two centrifugal switches on the motor. They activate once the motor is close to operating speed.
One of them removes the motor's start winding.
The other connects in the heating element.

Since you have heat.
Either the motor is actually running and the belt is slipping (unlikely but possible)
OR
The centrifugal switch assembly is messed up and is stuck in the motor running position. Sometimes it is just jammed full of lint. Also the motor will not start (just hums) because you do not have the start winding in circuit.

Hope this helps.
If you do decide to repair it check the front glides, drum seals, idler wheel, rear drum bearing, belt etc. for wear and slop.Replace as necessary. Might not be a bad idea to replace the rear drum bearing just on principle. They do go fairly often.
Also clean and check your vent system
Basically an overhaul.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Admin / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:43:18 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From Landshark's email:

"thanks

Jason C. Mc****" (last name removed for privacy reasons)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply