Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
christyhecht  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:09:13 AM(UTC)
christyhecht

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer that was only heating intermittently. With the help of this forum (amazing!), I tested it, and figured out I needed to replace the Gas Valve Solenoids. I replaced both of those yesterday, and now the dryer is heating, but I've discovered a secondary issue.

When I try to use the Automatic Dry Cycle, the dryer just keeps drying, indefinitely. It never stops on it's own. The timer never advances, rendering the auto cycle unusable. I am able to use the Timed Drying Cycle, and the timer does advance, ending the cycle at the time specified.

In testing for the heating problem, I discovered continuity on the thermal fuse, cycling thermostat, igniter, and flame sensor.

Can someone please help me figure out why might need to be tested and possibly replaced to make the Auto Dry Cycle usable again?

Thank you!

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:02:46 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: christyhecht Go to Quoted Post
I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer that was only heating intermittently. With the help of this forum (amazing!), I tested it, and figured out I needed to replace the Gas Valve Solenoids. I replaced both of those yesterday, and now the dryer is heating, but I've discovered a secondary issue.

When I try to use the Automatic Dry Cycle, the dryer just keeps drying, indefinitely. It never stops on it's own. The timer never advances, rendering the auto cycle unusable. I am able to use the Timed Drying Cycle, and the timer does advance, ending the cycle at the time specified.

In testing for the heating problem, I discovered continuity on the thermal fuse, cycling thermostat, igniter, and flame sensor.

Can someone please help me figure out why might need to be tested and possibly replaced to make the Auto Dry Cycle usable again?

Thank you!

Christy,

Your first check should be to, disconnect the exhaust vent from the back of the dryer, check and clean the lint filter, and start and run the dryer on auto dry empty for 10 or 15 minutes. If the timer advances, you've got a clogged exhaust vent or collapsed vent hood. If it still won't advance, you'll need to replace the hi limit thermostat,

Part number: AP3084674
Part number: AP3084674

It would be weak, and cycling early, and not allowing the voltage to travel up to the timer motor and allow it to advance.

:) :) :)
christyhecht  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:26:30 PM(UTC)
christyhecht

Thank you, Joe! When you mention the exhaust vent, you mean the circular hose the connects my dryer into the wall, is that right? So by running it empty with that disconnected, I am isolating the problem to either the dryer itself (in which case, I buy the part above) or the vent/ducting (in which case I need to clean it out)? Is that correct?
christyhecht  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:21:38 PM(UTC)
christyhecht

One more thing . . . this part controls the auto dry "timer", but not the regular timer, is that correct? Because the regular timer works, just not the auto-dry one. :)
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:21:38 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you, Joe! When you mention the exhaust vent, you mean the circular hose the connects my dryer into the wall, is that right? So by running it empty with that disconnected, I am isolating the problem to either the dryer itself (in which case, I buy the part above) or the vent/ducting (in which case I need to clean it out)? Is that correct?

Christy,

Yes, correct ,

You're on the money.

Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 5:28:49 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

One more thing . . . this part controls the auto dry "timer", but not the regular timer, is that correct? Because the regular timer works, just not the auto-dry one. :)

Christy,

Correct again, more or less.

On the "timed dry" setting, the timer motor advances, regardless of temperature, for the set time you select.

On the "auto dry" setting, When the exhaust temperature reaches 150 dgrs, the regulating thermostat opens, turning power off to the burner. The power to the burner is then transferred to the timer motor. and the timer motor advances, until the thermostat resets, and heat is called for.

If you have a weak or bad thermostat, if the vent is clogged etc. The dryer won't heat correctly and the circuit to the timer motor gets bypassed and the timer does not move.

#7 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2023 12:19:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My Whirlpool dryer had the exact same problem as in this thread. I looked under the console and found that the small circuit board on the far right side had come out. I put it back in the socket and everything is fixed! You remove the console by using a flat head screwdriver (look it up in Youtube).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply