Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PAplumber  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:42:35 AM(UTC)
PAplumber

Groups: Registered

Only use my dryer in Timed cycle and it is drying fine, just not making the final click to end cycle. Replaced timer with part from this site and still doing same thing. I checked the Perm. Press and Knits cycle also, they heat and dry but the timer never moved. Not too concerned about those but the timer cycle has me stumped. Repaired my washer with assistance from this site!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:29:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find any tech info on this unit.

Since you did not mention it I am assuming that you did not find the wiring diagram in the control console.

Your unit has a resistor for the timer motor. This indicates that the timer motor gets it's power from different circuits in timed and permanent press cycles.
In timed dry it gets power directly from the line.
In auto cycles it gets power through the heating element when it is shut off by the thermostat and the resistor drops the 240 volts to 120 volts for the timer motor.

Your post is a little confusing.
You said "just not making the final click to end cycle" which seems to indicate that the timer advanced but would not go to off.
And then you said " timer never moved." which seems to indicate that it does not advance.
Is the above true that the timer advances in timed dry and does not shut off but in permanent press (auto cycles) it does not advance?

Also when I look up the parts on AppliancePartsPros the timer comes up as not available so I do not know what timer you received of if they were able to cross reference it for you.
Does the back of it look the same as the following
Part number: AP3082044
Part number: AP3082044

Click on the picture for more info.

See the attachment for an example diagram. Your unit is probably close but this is a guess on my part. It does look like you do not have a buzzer on/off switch so it is wired in differently.
File Attachment(s):
Whirlpool.pdf (238kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
PAplumber  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:20:39 AM(UTC)
PAplumber

Thanks denman for your reply! The part was indeed listed as unavailable so i chatted online and APP said there was another part for my dryer (WPL 3395492). The one I received looks exactly the same as the one on the dryer and the picture you posted. My Dryer does have an on/off/buzzer button. I only ever use the Timer cycle and what it does is it heats up, dries the clothes and knob advances to the very end but never makes the final click to turn off and it is cool inside the dryer at that point. I made reference to the other cycles just for reference as I never use those cycles and they heated up and dried the clothes but knob never moved.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 3:59:29 AM(UTC)
denman

I am assuming this unit used to work correctly at this location with the current house wiring?

If you look at the "end of cycle" on the timing chart it shows TM/OR being closed so I think this is the connection that drives the timer into off but since this is the auto contacts on the timer and your unit will not advance in auto it will also not advance to off when in manual.

Unplug the unit and one side of the resistor and measure it, should be around 5,000 ohms.

Check the wiring in case there is an open in the resistor circuit.

If both are OK check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 8 to 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to do all sorts of weird things.
PAplumber  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:47:46 PM(UTC)
PAplumber

denman, I can build computers but I'm not great at schematics so bear with me. I took the back off the dryer and labeled parts as i found them on the diagram. The heating coil does show 10.3 ohms. I found the resistor, which is mounted on backside of control panel next to push to start switch, and checked that, I get nothing across the terminals with both wires off. I even had my dad come over and check it as he made a living in electronics and he said it appeared to be open. There was a wiring diagram on back of dryer and I think I attached it?
PAplumber attached the following image(s):
2011_0726dryer_wiring_diagram0005.JPG
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:26:07 AM(UTC)
denman

It sounds like the resistor is blown and needs replacing.
PAplumber  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:40:18 PM(UTC)
PAplumber

Thanks denman. I just ordered the reistor and i will let you know how it goes. This forum is awesome.:)
PAplumber  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 2:37:32 PM(UTC)
PAplumber

denman I cant thank you enough. Just put the resistor in and dryer now shuts itself off. Put the original timer back in and still shuts off by itself. Now to return the timer! Thanks again for your help. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply