Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JClements  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:48:15 PM(UTC)
JClements

Groups: Registered

Like others in this forum, I'm attempting to repair a dryer (in a GE Spacemaker Laundry Combo), where the end of the Idler/Tension Arm spring has actually broken, resulting in the inability of the arm to maintain tension against the belt. I've ordered a new spring (and a new drive/drum belt), but my question is, where exactly does the end of the spring mount to the dryer body? I can see a hole where the spring loops through the Idler/Tension arm, but the only place I see for the other end of the spring, to attach to the dryer body, is a small hole, almost directly under the spring end, that is drilled into the sheet metal between the upper and lower sections of the unit. I suppose that you could kind of tilt the end of the spring into this hole, but that results in the spring sitting off-kilter at the bottom, and could lead to the spring-end slipping out of the hole. It seems to me, that there should be some sort of bracket where the spring-end could loop through something on the bottom end of it as well. OR, maybe instead of just 1 hole, two small holes, drilled side-by-side, would be more appropriate (as this would enable the curve of the spring-end to loop around something?) Any help in this endeavor would be VERY grateful ... Thanx in advance ... Jeff Clements
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.