Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
colusapaul  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:22:59 PM(UTC)
colusapaul

Groups: Registered

I have a whirlpool electric dryer that does not heat. Model# LE7680XSW1. I have continuity in thermal fuse, the cutoff thermostats (both bottom & top) and the other thermostat below the thermal fuse. The "ring" cycle thermostat (whirlpool part # 61894) (#25 on the bulkhead parts diagram) attached to the thermostat below the thermal fuse does not have continuity. I tried jumpering this and still did not get heat. I checked for continuity in the heating coil, and have it, both at the terminals and across the coils after the ceramic insulators. Oddly enough, when the dryer runs, I get voltage through the coils but no heat. (Am I tripping? - how does that work?) The voltage from the front wire on the coil (front is front) is about 28v and the voltage on the other wire is 110v.

I'm not sure how old the dryer is. When I opened it up, the whip was bad. I replaced it, and checked power. left to right - 110v - common - 110v. 220 across L1 & L2.

Am I checking the cycling thermostat correctly? Can I get voltage (and continuity) across the heater coil without heat?

Should I look at something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:29:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find parts for a SWX1 the following is for a XSW1.
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LE7680XSW1 Residential Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool has actually mislabeled Item 25. It is not a thermostat. It is a heater element. It is turned on during lower heat settings. It adds heat to the cycling thermostat which causes it to cycle more often resulting in lower unit heat output.

You really need a wiring diagram. Check in the control console. I tried to find one but had no luck even tried using certain parts to cross reference to other units but came up with a blank.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Oddly enough, when the dryer runs, I get voltage through the coils but no heat. (Am I tripping? - how does that work?) The voltage from the front wire on the coil (front is front) is about 28v and the voltage on the other wire is 110v.[/COLOR]
First I think you are confusing voltage with amperage. Voltage is the potential across a device, amperage is the current that runs through a device.
Your measurements are weird but I cannot say why.
I am assuming that you are measuring to the Neutral or the frame.
So if as you say the heating coil resistance is good (8 to 12 ohms) then you should see 110 volts on both sides.
The reason is that the heater is not coming on so no current is passing through it therefore it is not dropping any voltage and you see the same 110 on both sides.
Hope the above makes sense.
That the motor runs is not surprising as it runs off of half the line (110 volts) while the heater runs off both sides of the line (220 volts).
When the unit is operating correctly you should see 220 volts across the heating coil.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I'm not sure how old the dryer is. When I opened it up, the whip was bad. I replaced it, and checked power. left to right - 110v - common - 110v. 220 across L1 & L2.[/COLOR]
Sorry but I do not know what you are referring to. "whip"?
That you actually measured L1 to L2 is a good thing as this is the heater voltage. The heater does not use Neutral as part of it's circuit.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Am I checking the cycling thermostat correctly? Can I get voltage (and continuity) across the heater coil without heat?[/COLOR]
I am not sure how you measured the cycling thermostat, but Item 25 should measure 5,000 to 10,000 ohms. The cycling thermostat contacts should measure 0 ohms.
Be sure to disconnect one side of any device that you are measuring for continuity or resistance. This prevents you from reading an alternate/parallel circuit path.
If you are measuring the heating coil using Neutral as reference (one side of your meter), then yes you will see voltage on the heating coil. The reason is that one side of the coil is is usually connected through 1 or 2 timer contacts and the thermostats so even with the unit not running there will be 120 volts from the coil to Neutral. Then when the motor gets close to operating speed it's centrifugal switch with connects to the heater closes and this completes the circuit to the other side of the line giving 2420 across the heater.

Now for a total shot in the dark on my part
See the attachment for a wiring diagram.
It is a Whirlpool that has a moisture sensor and a thermostat heater so may be close to yours but as I said it is a shot in the dark.
It may at least give you a rough idea of how this unit may be wired up.

I hope the above helps and that I did not just confuse you.
It is hard to explain when there is not a wiring diagram.
File Attachment(s):
KEYE760.pdf (51kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
colusapaul  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:52:03 AM(UTC)
colusapaul

Thanks Denman,

The dryer is xsw1, just my dyslexia showing I guess.

The dryer does have that (or similar) diagram on the rear panel. I would like a wiring diagram, but there wasn't one in the control panel. I'll be disassembling the dryer today, going deeper than just the back panel, so maybe I'll find one.

I'm going to go through it. I did find the discrepancy between the cycling thermostat and the thermostat heater. If the thermostat heater has no continuity, then would that stop the heater from working? It seems that it should not, 'cause no heat to thermostat = no cycling off, so there should be more heat.

Is there a case where the cut-offs and hi-limits would show continuity, but not work?

I checked the temp selector switch, and it seems to work. The resistance varies according to the setting, going all the way to infinity at the highest setting.

If everything I checked is working, then that leaves the timer - some switch is not working, so no heat.

There is also a weird clear plastic box that has an air hose going to it. It seems like it could be some sort of vacuum switch that I am not familiar with. When I disassemble the dryer I'll find out where that goes. Do you have any idea what it is? it is #26 on the bulkhead diagram and the only info is "not available."

Anyway, I appreciate your help, and any more info you may have. I'll be looking deeper at it today, so if I find anything; answers or questions, I'll be back.

colusapaul
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:10:56 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If the thermostat heater has no continuity, then would that stop the heater from working?[/COLOR]
No, the heater should still cycle.
If it was blown you just would not have the lower heat settings, it would always run on high heat.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Is there a case where the cut-offs and hi-limits would show continuity, but not work?[/COLOR]
Not that I know of.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Do you have any idea what it is? it is #26 on the bulkhead diagram and the only info is "not available."[/COLOR]
I am not sure what it is but it looks to me that it is a filter bypass. perhaps if your lint filter gets too dirty it bypasses it so the unit does not overheat.
colusapaul  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:55:33 AM(UTC)
colusapaul

Hi Denman,

I forgot to get back to you. The problem was that the circuit breaker at the house was bad. One side of a ZZensco two-pole breaker was blown, so one line had full power (enough to run the motor) and the other side was making intermittent contact, some voltage, but not enough get the heater going.

That took a bit of looking before I addressed the power in.

thanks for your help.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 4:18:57 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply