Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
birdman  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2007 8:59:12 PM(UTC)
birdman

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool "Imperial Series" dryer.It is a 2001 model, 7 cycle 4 temperatures. Sorry, i do not know the model number.
Was working fine for the past 6 1/2 years until last night.The dryer receptical wiring runs from the home electrical panel (100 amp "fuse" service) to a metal box with a switch and two 30 amp fuses inside. Then it is wired to the recepticle box. The dryer will run for a few minutes tops and then blows the 30 amp fuse that enables the dryer to start and the door light.The other 30 amp fuse which i believe controls the heating element of the dryer does not blow.I had the back cover off the dryer and the blower motor area to clean it out.Exhaust stack is clean.I am lost on this one.My thoughts are I have an electrical short.I ran the dryer with the panel off the back and it did not blow.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abbie  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2007 9:32:19 PM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

the trouble sounds like it,s in the square dee [metal box 2 fuses] if you had an amp probe it should show you it is drawing 22 to 23 amps on the red wire, if so what is happening is when it is running the heat
in the fuse box [metal box]is taking out the 30 amp fuse .So the fix would be to change the fuse box.
birdman  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2007 9:53:46 PM(UTC)
birdman

Thanks for the speedy reply.Unfortunately I do not have anything to test for the amps. When you say replace the fuse box, do you mean the one with the two 30 amp fuses in it?
I took the 30 amp fuse out for the heating element and ran the dryer with only the one 30 amp fuse and it does not blow.When i put the fuse back in it (both fuses now installed) the dryer would run for about a minute and then it blew the start/door light fuse :(
Thanks
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:10:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
All indications point to a shorted heating element in the dryer, just pull out the heater housing and remove heating element.
birdman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:48:20 AM(UTC)
birdman

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
All indications point to a shorted heating element in the dryer, just pull out the heater housing and remove heating element.

Thanks for the reply.This being said, are you saying to replace the heating element altogether? If so, is it worth the cost to replace or should i just purchase a new dryer?

abbie  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:04:59 AM(UTC)
abbie

replace the two[ 30 amps fuse] metal box that will solve the problem..
birdman  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:49:42 AM(UTC)
birdman

Originally Posted by: abbie Go to Quoted Post
replace the two[ 30 amps fuse] metal box that will solve the problem..

Thanks Abbie, i will do this.
birdman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:10:04 PM(UTC)
birdman

Thanks for all the help.I replaced the box switch and my problem was solved! Thanks Abbie for the diagnostic!
sakleist2  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:36:11 AM(UTC)
sakleist2

We have the same problem and have bought a new fuse box with a breaker instead of the screw in fuses. How do we wire the box?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply