Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
betzweiler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:25:34 PM(UTC)
betzweiler

Groups: Registered

Dryer just quit. I found the thermal fuze blown after 24 years of service. I replaced the fuze with a new one part number 3392519. The dryer ran for 30 minutes and stopped, the new thermal fuze blown. I had an electrician friend check the dryer out and could not find anything wrong. The motor and heating element checked good. Is there an amp rating on the fuzes. There is 3.6 amps passing through the thermal fuze.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:01:06 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LE5650XMW0 Residential Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Yes these fuses do have a current limit but it is usually up around 15 amps so I doubt that is your problem.

Have you cleaned/checked your vent system including the outside vents are opening fully? The vent system is the most common cause of the fuse blowing.

Have you cleaned/checked the blower wheel?

Can you regulate the heat if not you may have a grounded element?
Usually this would blow the thermal cut-off on the heater assembly but it does not look like this unit has one.
Also you may have a bad operating thermostat re: it's contacts are welded together so the heater is always on.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
betzweiler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:16:12 AM(UTC)
betzweiler

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LE5650XMW0 Residential Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Yes these fuses do have a current limit but it is usually up around 15 amps so I doubt that is your problem.

Have you cleaned/checked your vent system including the outside vents are opening fully? The vent system is the most common cause of the fuse blowing.

Have you cleaned/checked the blower wheel?

Can you regulate the heat if not you may have a grounded element?
Usually this would blow the thermal cut-off on the heater assembly but it does not look like this unit has one.
Also you may have a bad operating thermostat re: it's contacts are welded together so the heater is always on.

Thank you very much for the response, it was much appreciated. Yes I have cleaned/checked my vent system, I checked the blower wheel, but I should clean it as well. I suspect that I have a bad operating thermostat because the heating element does not cycle. When looking at the diagram on the Appliance Parts Pros web site, it shows Item 19. Dryer Cycling Thermostat-Adjustable, and Item 24. Thermostat. It looks like these two items fit together. If this is the case, would I need to replace both items?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:10:29 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Item 19 is the actual thermostat.

Item 24 is actually a heater. It should measure around 6,000 to 9,000 ohms.
It is turned on for a lower heat setting. It adds heat to the cycling thermostat so the cycling thermostat cycles more often resulting in a lower heat output.

Even if it is blown it should not blow the thermal fuse as the cycling thermostat should regulate the heat OK on a normal cycle temperature.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply