Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
superglide31  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:03:59 AM(UTC)
superglide31

Groups: Registered

Dryer just stopped running while load was in, done the same thing last week, door switch clicks when you push it so i assume thats not it, dont have a volt meter handy to check voltage in and out, been looking for the thermal fuse and cant seem to find it any ideas
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:15:28 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Pop the top of the dryer up, and in the back of the dryer, up top, in the right hand corner just behind the drum is the thermal fuse. It is the size of a dime, and has 2 wires coming to it. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
denman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:25:03 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Dryer just stopped running while load was in, done the same thing last week
The above seems to indicate that the dryer stopped during a cycle but ran again when started. Is this correct?

Is the problem now that it will not start at all or that it is stopping part way through a cycle?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
superglide31  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:40:30 PM(UTC)
superglide31

One time before it stopped and didnt restart, this time it stopped in mid cycle and wont restart, i have checked everything and i am assuming that it is the motor, motor start switch works, door switch works, thermal fuse seems to be fine and timer switch is working so im at a stand still for the time being
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:30:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull the motor and bench test it. All indications show a motor cutting out on it's internal thermal overload.
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:21:22 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

You did say the thermal fuse seems to be fine. I would assume then you have a meter. Is that correct? If so, have we checked the power coming to the back of the dryer, where the cord comes in to see if we have power with your meter? Tom ApplianceEducator.com
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:47:32 AM(UTC)
denman

Here are your parts
Model Search

Here is the wiring diagram
http://ftp.electrolux-na.com/PD....pdf&model=FER231AS2

You cannot assume anything as this can lead you down the garden path.
Just because a switch clicks does not mean that the contacts inside the switch are actually closing etc.

Using the wiring diagram the circuit path to start the motor is
Neutral , DOOR SWITCH , START SWITCH , motor's RUN and START windings , THERMAL LIMITER , timer contacts C/B , L1

Note that your motor runs on 120 volts so it is important to check the power in. Often you can loose the Neutral without actually tripping the breaker.
Make sure you have:
L1 to L2 = 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral = 120 volts

If the problem is in the machine you can troubleshoot this problem by just measuring ohms/resistance, which is the safest way.

I would suggest you purchase a meter. You can get a decent digital multimeter for under $20.00. You do not need fancy though it is nice if the leads are a couple feet long.
If it saves ordering one unnecessary part it has paid for itself and you end up owning a useful tool.
Most places will not let you return electrical parts so if you order it, you own it.
A couple things to watch when measuring ohms and continuity
1. Always remove power from the machine otherwise you could blow your meter.
2. Always disconnect at least one side of any device you are checking. This eliminates the possibility of measuring an alternate/parallel circuit path.
3. When checking for closed contacts and continuity use the lowest scale (Usually 200 ohms). Then try higher scales. This scale is 0 to 200 ohms so if the device you are measuring is 300 ohms this scale would show an open circuit which it is not, you are just measuring outside the scale's dynamic range.

There is a good STICKY at the start of this forum about it's use.
kayakcrzy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:06:46 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Your the man Denman!!!! From your rebel appliance buddy. LOL!! Tom
superglide31  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:40:43 AM(UTC)
superglide31

This is what i checked, Checked for continuity on the motor start, the door switch thermal fuse timer selector and with the meter i have i got a beep when crossing the leads connected the 2 wires to the start switch together and plugged it in to see if it would run and no dice, am a little unsure how to check voltage comming in i know where the L1 and L2 and neutral are but do i check with unit plugged in to outlet? just dont want to go buying anything because i know how it is with electrical parts and no returns, thanks to all for any help as i am no appliance god by any means just trying to save a buck
denman  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:24:18 AM(UTC)
denman

This is what i checked, Checked for continuity on the motor start, the door switch thermal fuse timer selector.
Did you disconnect at least one side of the device you were measuring?
When you say "motor start" did you measure from 5 to 4 on the motor's plug?

and with the meter i have i got a beep when crossing the leads connected the 2 wires to the start switch together and plugged it in to see if it would run and no dice,
Not sure what you are using for a meter, personally I never trust just beeps better to read the actual resistance. Only use beeps when I cannot see the meter while doing the measurement.

am a little unsure how to check voltage comming in i know where the L1 and L2 and neutral are but do i check with unit plugged in to outlet?
I would check it at the plug with the dryer disconnected.
Unless a wire has burned out or a connection come loose in the unit it should be OK.

1. Set your unit to ohms
2. Unplug the unit
3. Tape or hold one meter lead to the Neural
4. Set the meter to 20 k or so
5. Measure to C on the door switch should be 0 ohms
6. Measure to the NO on the door switch or the GRAY on the start switch
With the door open = infinite, with the door close = 0 ohms
Step 5 is not necessary if step 6 OK may be easier to just test at the start switch.
7. Measure to the TAN on the START SWITCH
Should be infinite. Push the START SWITCH should go to 0 ohms

Just continue along the circuit (you may need someone to hold the START SWITCH closed while you continue).
Am not sure what the motor will add in as a resistance but it will be under 20 K

Hope this helps!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply