Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clarkha99  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:46:51 PM(UTC)
clarkha99

Groups: Registered

My dryer is making more noise and vibrating/shaking harder than usual. Everything works; it still produces heat, the drum rotates to tumble clothes & it's not drying them any slower, it's just making more noise & shaking harder. The noise is not a metal-on-metal or bump-bump ;) , it's just a very magnified version of the sound it usually makes. I went online to the Maytag website, and took it apart (removed the door, front panel and bulkhead, flipped up the top). The noise seems to be coming from behind the blower assembly, around the motor area (as opposed to the heating element side). I could remove the blower assembly to detach the belt & remove the drum, but don't know that doing so for increased visibility of the motor would tell me anything. I don't know if the increased noise & shaking are from a bent drive rod or a bad motor... And if the motor needs replacing, I think I could figure out how to do so, but don't know how to diagnose whether that is the problem, or whether it would even be worth it to replace the motor. It's a fairly new (about 7 years old as opposed to 40 ;) )Maytag, with the "newer L-shaped door", Model MDG6200AWW. I don't know if it's worth having someone replace a motor at $120 plus crazy labor charges, or better to just buy a good-quality used one for cheap. (--I haven't priced used dryers) Help! :)
Thank you,
Heather
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.