Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott805  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:19:33 PM(UTC)
scott805

Groups: Registered

I need troubleshooting help on my dryer.

My gas dryer starts to heat up, then cuts out very quickly, maybe after 10 seconds. It will fire up again after a short time, but again only heats for a very short time. If I set the timer to the auto dry setting, it will sometimes ends up running for hours and hours without drying the clothes. The timed dry cycle counts down properly and shuts off, but does not dry either. I thought it could be the ignitor, but it looks like it works properly and ohm reading is ~70 ohms. Thought maybe the solenoid valves, but every time the ignitor heats up, the gas does always fire, so probably not. The vent is not clogged (symptoms persists when vent is disconnected).

Questions:

How long should the heat cycle (gas actually firing) be?

Could it be the high limit switch? It's ohm reading (cold) is ~0 ohms.

What else can I test?

Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

scott805  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:08:48 AM(UTC)
scott805

Update:

Ok, so I thought my problem was probably the high limit switch (t-stat) so I tried to troubleshoot it. When cold, the resistance is basically zero. I disconnected it and jumpered the leads together, bypassing the switch. Now the gas stays on much longer (solving problem??). I also measured the resistance of the switch as it heated. It very quickly (within ~10 seconds) jumped to infinite resistance (switch opened) and I heard it click. I stopped the dryer and continued to measure the resistance on the switch. After cooling for about 2-3 minutes, I heard it click again and the resistance went back to zero (switch closed). I am no expert and have no expereince working with dryers, but this switch seems like the problem. Can someone confirm?
scott805  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:15:23 PM(UTC)
scott805

The high limit switch wasn't the problem. I changed it out and it didn't fix it.

It seems to fire up a few times initially, but then heats up less and less or not at all the rest of the cycle. Can anyone help?
bossman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:05:02 AM(UTC)
bossman

I had the exact problem with a maytag LDG4914AAE. I cleaned the vent and discontected it to and was getting the same result. I finally took apart the front door and cleaned the vent pipe housing inside the dryer. It was 75% blocked prior to the rear of the back of the dryer. Works great now.

Hope it helps!!!
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:44:34 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

if you are possitive the vent is clear, i would pull the 2 wires off of the flame switch on the side of the flame tube, and put them together, and put some tape around them, so it does not hit metal, and then plug the dryer in and turn it on. if it does the same, replace the coils on the gas valve. if it works fine, replace the flame sensor. this is for diagnosing only, do not run the dryer with the flame sensor jumped out. tom [url=]applianceeducator.com - parts[/url]
scott805  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:55:35 PM(UTC)
scott805

Thanks kayakcrzy and bossman for your suggestions. I confirmed there was no blockage and confirmed the flame switch was working, so I replaced both coils. That did the trick, dryer is fixed.
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:51:41 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Great Job!!! That is the way to save the cash. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
sroloff  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:12:39 PM(UTC)
sroloff

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
if you are possitive the vent is clear, i would pull the 2 wires off of the flame switch on the side of the flame tube, and put them together, and put some tape around them, so it does not hit metal, and then plug the dryer in and turn it on. if it does the same, replace the coils on the gas valve. if it works fine, replace the flame sensor. this is for diagnosing only, do not run the dryer with the flame sensor jumped out. tom applianceeducator.com - parts

I had identical problem as Scott805 and did everything you suggested. When I jumped the flame sensor, igniter glowed but gas never ignited. Since the gas didn't ignite it didn't do the same as when the wires to the flame sensor weren't jumped (the short cycling) so now I don't what to do or try. Initially I accidently jumped the T-stat and everything worked fine (flame stayed on) - just got a little hot before turning off. Help please.
kayakcrzy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:48:08 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: sroloff Go to Quoted Post
I had identical problem as Scott805 and did everything you suggested. When I jumped the flame sensor, igniter glowed but gas never ignited. Since the gas didn't ignite it didn't do the same as when the wires to the flame sensor weren't jumped (the short cycling) so now I don't what to do or try. Initially I accidently jumped the T-stat and everything worked fine (flame stayed on) - just got a little hot before turning off. Help please.

It sounds like the thermostat is the problem. If you jumped it, and the gas came on and worked, that is the issue. Replace the thermostat. Also be sure that the vent is clear to the outside, and you have good air flow. Tom ApplianceEducator.com - Parts
sroloff  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:17:08 AM(UTC)
sroloff

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like the thermostat is the problem. If you jumped it, and the gas came on and worked, that is the issue. Replace the thermostat. Also be sure that the vent is clear to the outside, and you have good air flow. Tom ApplianceEducator.com - Parts

The high T-stat? My understanding is if that if I jumped that the flame would never go out (which is what was happening) and what I meant when I said it was getting hot (smelling) when turned I turned it off. Why wouldn't gas ignite when I jumped the flame sensor? On the thermostats are we maybe talking about Cycling Thermostats #14 & #15? Not even sure where those are mounted just saw them in the parts list? Where are they and how do I know which one or even the problem? I need to order rollers and other stuff just want to get it right the first time when I place the order. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply