Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phillady1  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 6:50:44 AM(UTC)
Phillady1

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag dryer making a horrible squeaking/squeeling sound. (sometimes it sounds like a yapping dog) sometimes it is a lot lounder than others- I've done a little research on line- but haven't taken it apart-- it might be the rear rollers/shaft and/or the idler pulley. yesterday put a load in the dryer and it sounded like the tumbler dropped (like you would shift gears in a car) and the squeeling stopped for a few minutes. what are your suggestions & is it hard to take the dryer apart and put back together. i don't have a lot of tools so i would need to know what tools go with each replacement.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gabe_1981  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 8:20:53 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Groups: Senior Expert

These older maytag dryers are a piece of cake to rebuild ... The only way to find whats makin the noise is to take the dryer apart ... First thing unplug the dryer from the wall ... Then tilt i back so the head board is resting against the wall ... Then two phillips head screws on the lower right and left of the front panel need to be removed ... Then the front panel of the dryer hinges up and detaches ... Be careful to remove the two door safety switch wires before pulling the front panel too far from the dryer ... Then pull the four 5/16 screws holding the front drum glide assembly ... It will then lift up and pull straight out ... At this time check the blower wheel to make sure its not free spinning on the motor shaft or cracked and broken in anyway ... This may be the source of your noise.
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 8:59:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Phillady1 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Maytag dryer making a horrible squeaking/squeeling sound. (sometimes it sounds like a yapping dog) sometimes it is a lot lounder than others- I've done a little research on line- but haven't taken it apart-- it might be the rear rollers/shaft and/or the idler pulley. yesterday put a load in the dryer and it sounded like the tumbler dropped (like you would shift gears in a car) and the squeeling stopped for a few minutes. what are your suggestions & is it hard to take the dryer apart and put back together. i don't have a lot of tools so i would need to know what tools go with each replacement.

Phillady,

Except for a pair of "tru arc" pliers, you can usually get by with basic hand tools.

First, you need to turn the power off to the dryer, turn the breaker(s) off at the main panel, or unplug the power cord at the outlet.
At the bottom of the front panel, approx. 3 incheds up from the bottom, you"ll need to remove the 2 phillips head screws,and pull out on the bottom of the panel until the top spring clips unclip from the top.
Label and disconnect the wires from the door switch and release from the harness retainer clips.
Remove the 4, 5/16 in. crews holding the front bulkhead to the cabinet frame, and lift up and out on the support.( the drum/tumbler will drop an inch or 2 ).
You can now remove the tumbler,but first make note of how the belt is routed around the pulleys. You hve 2 options for removing the belt:
a)You can reach in, under the drum and move the large white pulley assembly to the left and slide the belt off the idler and motor pulleys.
b) You can pull out on the bottom of the drum, until there is a 3 or 4 inch opening between the end of the drum and the back bulkhead, and remove the belt from the pulleys. Then slide the drum / tumbler out the front of the cabinet.
You will now have access to all the rollers, and idler pulley and shaft.
To remove and check the Idler pulley, you will need a small flat blade screw driver(1/8 in,) and insert it into one of the openings in the "C" clip on the backside of the pulley and twist the screwdriver to unclip the clip.
** don't loose or misplace the fibre washers ** check the shaft and bearing(in the center of the pulley) for damage, if no damage is present, clean the idler shaft and bearing, and lightly lubricate both parts with SBL lubricant,

Part number: AP4372890
Part number: AP4372890

Part number: AP3873855
Part number: AP3873855

The rear drum rollers are held in place by "tru arc" clips, some people will use a screwdriver to remove them, but the pliers are a lot easier.

Part number: AP184226
Part number: AP184226

Insert the pointed tips into the openings in the clip and spread them apart until you can remove the clip off the shaft.

Part number: AP4008534
Part number: AP4008534

Check, clean and lubricate the shaft and roller, like before.

You'll need to decide what parts you need depending on amount of damage(scrapes and grooves in the shafts/roller bearings) and order the parts as needed.

You should also consider a new belt, so you don't have to repeat the process too soon.

Part number: AP4290988
Part number: AP4290988

It sounds more than it really is, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply