Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ToTheRiver  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:22:35 PM(UTC)
ToTheRiver

Groups: Registered

My gas dryer would not stay hot and so take two cycles to dry a load. With the bottom panel off, the ignitor comes on, then the gas burns for about 1 min, then shuts off. Then about 1-2 min later the ignitor would come on again and gas would come on for about 1 min. This cylce would repeat, so the clothes will dry but takes much longer. Al the duct work is completely clean as I checked that first and cleaned it. The high limit temp sensor reads continuity when cold. The repair blog told me to check the thermistor and replace if it didn't read 11k ohms. It read 8k ohms so I replaced (new one reads 10.7kohms). Now when I start the dryer, the ignitor comes on and gas burns for about 45 seconds then goes out. Then the ignitor and gas never come on again.
Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:35:39 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Your problem is the coils on the gas valve. Your part # is 285753. This is a very easy repair. You don't even have to shut the gas off to do it. Take the wires off the coils, pull off the bracket. Put 1 coil on at a time, in the same position you took them off, and then put the bracket back on, and then wire it back up, and your done. Easy!!! Tom ApplianceEducator.com
ToTheRiver  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:25:34 AM(UTC)
ToTheRiver

Thanks for that advice.
The part number you qouted was for a 'coupler'. Do you mean these parts: main solenoid coil 694540, and valve coil 694539.
Are there any readings I can take on them? Can't get to the repair shop until Monday. If they are working, how long should the gas stay on when there are no clothes in the dryer?

kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:37:17 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Sorry, about putting in the wrong part. I was in the middle of my first cup of coffee!! LOL!! With no clothes in it, about a miniute and a half, at least. Coils are funny, when it comes to ohming out. They check good, but that does not mean they are. Put the coils in, and you will see it will work fine. This is a very common problem. I keep 2 sets of coils on my truck. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:15:33 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: badu789 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, it appears that the problem is with the booster coil. You can get detailed information at Gas dryer igniter turns on and off-dryer takes too long to dry clothes | Free Dryer Repair Tips | RepairServiceTips.com

Are you calling The booster coil the coils on the gas valve? Tom ApplianceEducator.com
ToTheRiver  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:43:26 PM(UTC)
ToTheRiver

It being Sunday, it's laundry day for my family of 5 and the parts store is closed. I checked craig's list and found a 2 year old dryer for less than the price of a new set of coils, so I went that route. Laundry is in progress. Thanks for all the help.
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 12:32:52 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Wow, those coils couldn't have been more then $25.00 Tom ApplianceEducator.com
ToTheRiver  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 2:08:52 PM(UTC)
ToTheRiver

Maybe I misunderstood the parts you recommended. I thought they were the Main Solenoid Coil, #694540, $39.67 and the Valve Coil, #694539, $36.47. Prices are per searspartsdirect.com website which is the same as at my local Sears store (see links below). Maybe the $25 is the wholesale price you get them for? It would nice to know if these are the parts for sure because I may repair the dryer for a friend who needs one.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com...en=partSearch&blt=11

http://www.searspartsdirect.com...en=partSearch&blt=11
Gene  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 8:28:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ToTheRiver Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I misunderstood the parts you recommended. I thought they were the Main Solenoid Coil, #694540, $39.67 and the Valve Coil, #694539, $36.47. Prices are per ********************************.com website which is the same as at my local Sears store (see links below). Maybe the $25 is the wholesale price you get them for? It would nice to know if these are the parts for sure because I may repair the dryer for a friend who needs one.

http://www.********************...en=partSearch&blt=11

http://www.********************...en=partSearch&blt=11

Such prices are unbelievable high!!! You can buy the kit of two coils from Appliance Parts Pros for just $15.95 and this is retail price.

- The coil kit Part number: AP3094251
Part number: AP3094251

Gene.
kayakcrzy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:58:02 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Thanks Gene 15 bucks. Dude, don't ever go to sears for parts or any kind of service. They will rip you off!!!!! Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply