Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hokiefan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:45:13 AM(UTC)
Hokiefan

Groups: Registered

My dryer is making squeaking noises. I took the dryer apart and determined that it is the Front Drum Bearing. I noticed that the glides were either missing or badly worn. How can I tell if the Front Drum Bearing also needs to be replaced. Will there be tell-tale wear on the bearing? I was going to replace just the glides but don't want to have to do two repairs if I can avoid it. On a previous question I was told in order to replace the glides I would need to order both the white glides and the green glides. Why the difference? Why not order four white or four green? Thanks again for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2011 4:22:40 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If a visual inspection does not reveal any problem with the front bearing then you should be able to keep the one you have.

The glides are of different thickness, and you should replace all four at the same time.

Also, you might want to repalce the rear bearing if you are interested in doing just one repair. Your noise may come from it, and even if it does not it tends to fail on these machines.
Hokiefan  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 4:27:29 AM(UTC)
Hokiefan

Groups: Registered

Thank you very much for your reply. I replaced both the front drum bearing and the glides. The machine worked silently for a little while and is making some noises again. I checked the rear drum bearing and it appears to be in good shape. Where else might I chec for noise??
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 5:21:17 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Noises are really difficult to pinpoint because they often sound like they are coming from one place and are really coming from another.

I would go ahead and replace the rear drum bearing, not an expensive part and it is good preventive maintenance. Your sounds may be coming from the tension pulley so replacing that and the belt should make your machine good for many years to come.

Be sure to have clean all the internal venting and the back of the drum out. Stuff gets in there and can also make noise.

Hope this helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply