Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
osuchamp1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:08:02 PM(UTC)
osuchamp1

Groups: Registered

When I try to start my dryer, it heats up, smells like it's burning (like a space heater smells when it's on), and makes a quiet noise (also like the noise a space heater makes). The motor will not run, nor will the drum turn. I haven't tried to manually turn the drum yet, but will.

My question is, this dryer is about 10 yrs old. Do you think it would be worth it to fix, or should I just buy a new dryer? Any idea on ballpark cost to fix if it's a bad motor (parts, labor, etc.)?

Thanks so much for your help!
:eek:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:05:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts includes a wiring diagram.
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDE7657AYW DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com
It will give you an idea on parts costs.
Cannot give an estimate on the labor cost.
Once you narrow it down get an estimate from a local repair shop.
Also I cannot say if it is worth fixing. Depends on what needs replacing, if you can do it yourself, what king of shape the dryer is in and if it needs additional parts (rollers, glides etc.) to give it a basic overhaul.

Are you sure the motor is not turning?
Perhaps you have just blown a belt and the hum you hear is the motor running.
If you have air flow then the motor is running.
The reason it could be the above is that the motor has 2 centrifugal switches on it. They close when the motor gets close to operating speed. One of them switches in the heater so that you do not have heat without the air flow.
So if you have heat and air flow it is probably the belt.
If you have heat and no air flow it is a problem with the centrifugal switch mechanism. Could be it is clogged solid with lint or may be broken and is stuck in the motor running position.
The reason for this is that the second switch disconnects the start winding.
So if the switches are being activated when the motor is at rest then the motor is trying to start but the start winding is not in circuit.

Here is a service manual which should be close to your unit in case you want to tackle this yourself.
http://appliancedigest.com/index.php?/files/go/bb765917d3e2fb282a755bf69bb4f3ec/16023110-maytag-sloped-front-dryer-repair-service-manual
You have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals and other info for the appliance repair DIYer.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
osuchamp1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:33:58 PM(UTC)
osuchamp1

Thank you so much for your help! Have a great week!
osuchamp1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:50:37 AM(UTC)
osuchamp1

Thanks so much for the help! You were right. It was the motor. My husband know a former Maytag service technician who said if we replace the motor (with centrifugal switch), the belt and the idler arm spring, we could easily get another 10 years out of our Maytag.

You saved me the cost of a new dryer (and washer, since they have to match of course!)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply